We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
616 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off

On way from DPS to Ubud sked driver to stop to buy SIM car with data only. Took us at one shop where 4.5GB XL card was 200K.

Was it rip off? After checking, seems it is not unconditional 4.5GB but it is several slices inside and 'real' data is 1G, the rest is bonus or something else.

11 replies to this topic
PERTH
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off

Sadly the sim card/data sellers are becoming like the money changers. Caution when dealing with both is required.

Denpasar, Indonesia
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off

I paid 12 gb for I80,000k.

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off

I bought a Tri SIM with 5Gb data online for $8. They delivered the SIM on my arrival in airport. The network coverage was poor and I was not able to make call as I did not register it with my passport. Data service seems ok for viber calls and map nevigation execpt in some parts of lembongan.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
616 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off

#2 - what was the provider/package name?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off

Yes, ripped off. The best thing to do is go to an actual telephone company outlet and buy one there, then download the specific app for that company. Or get one from a tour booth, they start at 20,000 but pay no more than 50,000. Add credit to it and again use the app to buy your data with the credit.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
616 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off

So, based on …wikia.com/wiki/Indonesia I got ripped off at least 4 times...

Seems Bali in terms of scamming tourists in on fast track towards Phuket... Not the best company to be with.

Caveat emptor. You have been warned...

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off

Bali is already up there with Thailand for being ripped off!

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off

One of these days someone from Singapore may come to Bali and not complain. It has not happened yet however.

A horrific scam where someone lost a percentage of $20. This coming from someone from the island of ridiculously expensive beer. Now that is a genuine scam.

The Telkomsel App on my phone it tells me that 14 GB of Data is 80,000.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
616 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off

#8 - dude or dudette, your comments are off. In what kind of twisted logic you are equalizing expensive beer in Singapore which is due to high alcohol taxes by government and applies to both locals and foreigners, to cheating to foreigners only by taking advantage of them - I have no idea.

If you want to self educate yourself what are consequences of information asymmetry when one party in the market constantly takes advantage of another- google wiki article about ‘Market for Lemons’ and have some thoughts.

Denpasar, Indonesia
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off

Simpati 4GLte 12GB

Reply to: 200K for 'data' SIM card - rip off
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted