We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
111 posts
18 reviews
Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?

We have read blogposts saying that the beaches are full of plastic containers, however, most of these blogs were from some years ago. We are arriving at the end of May, will we see beaches full of garbage?

First we are staying in Legian, then we are going to Canggu and finally we are staying in Uluwatu.

13 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?

Been in March, April and May over the last 4 years... yep the beaches are covered in washed up rubbish. Plastic bags wrap around your legs in the water... scared me to death!!This trip the sight of it actually made me stop and think.. do I really want to come here again? I love Bali... but it’s sad to see all that rubbbish but it’s not just an issue in Bali... it’s all over most of SE Asia. Someone in here may tell you that the east coast is better at this time of year... I can’t remeember what people say about the tides.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?

We always go in May to early June and only to the east coast, Candidasa mostly, we do find a bit of rubbish that time of year, the odd plastic bag wrapping around your leg also creeps me out, but not too bad by what others say about the south.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
206 reviews
3. Re: Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?

Hi,

Not much rubbbish on the west coast beaches now, it’s all pretty clean.

Shouldn’t get worse again now the rainy season is coming to an end.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4. Re: Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?

Absolutelly filthy. There are 2 mtrs height piles of rubish along the beach and everywhere else.

Streets are dity, you are harassed by every other penson on the sidewalk....if not for massage, for taxi.

The scooters,noice is unbearable and streets are in chaos, the only rule applied is: watch out for youself and save your life.

1st and last time.....those who find this acceptable will keep on returning for the loose lifestyle.

Hated it.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
206 reviews
5. Re: Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?

Hi,

Well we gather you hated it but there certainly aren’t 2m high piles of rubbish on the beaches now, in November.

Are you posting about some other time of the year, certainly rainy season sees a lot washed up.

Cheers

Vista, California
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
6. Re: Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?

What is the best central area to stay on Bali that has the best Beaches to Snorkel and shopping new by. It will be first time to Bali. Also regarding driving is it recommended and if not what is the cost to hiring a driver and who do you recommend. Thank you

Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
869 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?

There are two different wind, west wind in November to March and south wind in June to August. So it is depends where the beaches facing out. But until now Sanur and some beaches next to the east are relatively clean from rubbish.

In Kuta if only rubbish maybe for several persons maybe ok, but sometimes not plastic rubbish, but many dead fishes. The excavator has buried the dead fish, but still stinky smell.

Slough, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?

Hi we were in Kuta in October. I have to say that I have never seen the sea so beautiful, blue and rubbish free as I did in October. Honestly once the surfing competition had all packed up it was lovely. I dont ever remember the sea being so blue !!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
71 reviews
9. Re: Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?

Post #6, you need to read the pinned posts at the top of this forum and the Top Questions About Bali, located on the side of this page. These threads are especially pertinent to your questions

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29…

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29…

If you enter “driving” into the search bar, you’ll find plenty of posts about this topic. The vast majority of forum members don’t recommend driving yourself. Driver costs average around 600,000 rupiah for a full day.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10. Re: Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?

If images can be posted, I will post them now.

And the sea of plastic on the beaches, sand and water. It’s extremely upsetting just imagining what this is doing to marine life.

Reply to: Are the beaches in Bali very dirty still?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted