We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorbike accidents in Bali - My near death experience 2017

5 posts
Motorbike accidents in Bali - My near death experience 2017
Save

LEARN FROM SOMONE THAT ALOMST DIED IN A MOTORBIKE ACCIDENT IN BALI -AUG 2017 .

I have a business that buys from Indonesia and I visit Bali 2 to 3 times a year from the UK.

.In august 2017 I was unlucky enough to be hit head on by a small truck that didn't look before it swerved across my lane from the other direction to take a right turn, it happened about 4 minutes from Seminyak on a main road .. I think they hit me at about 30mph, and I was probably doing 25 .. I was sure I would be killed. I knew I was going to hit the truck head first, and it was probably going to be a neck breaker .

It didn't happen in slow motion, there were no bright lights, all i remember is seeing the truck, shouting NO and then hearing the noise of my body hitting the the truck before blacking out .

Somehow, by pure luck, I survived & woke up in the middle of the road.

To give you a taste of the kind of injuries you can get from this kind of accident, which in relative terms would be a slow speed incident on a motorbike . :

I was blind in my right eye, probably from the ferocity of the hit to my head, i was concerned that I might have a bleed on my brain or perhaps something had gone through my eyeball itself, my vision was just black . I had broken my right cheekbone and my nose , and my left forearm bone had gone through my upper arm, and parts had also gone through the back of my elbow. My wrist was 180 degrees rotated and badly broken / dislocated . I had a tear to my right nostril, and a piece of glass had gone through my upper cheek to the bone . I also had a shard of metal that had punctured my back to the left of the base of my spine . The surgeon said 1-2mm to the right and my spinal cord would have been severed perfectly . I had lots of glass lacerations to my legs and arms , and a large hole to the bone in my right leg below the knee -

It was horrendous...a truly horrible experience ..

I travel alone on business, so I had no one to call. if i had remained unconscious i dread to think what would have happened to me, where i would have been taken or even if I would have received any help . I WAS insured and checked that i could ride a bike, but if you are unconscious no one knows who you are or if you have insurance -( I NOW WEAR A MEDICAL ID WRISTBAND WHEN I AM THERE )

but the INSURANCE company still took 14 hours to agree to pay for ANY treatment , despite knowing I had open fractures. My real worry was blood poisoning , my cuts were full of road grit and who knows what else.- I sat in a hospital entrance for the entire time, slowly gathering a pool of blood at my feet- During that time i had no pain relief and no help - I rang my insurers on the hour every hour and still they tried to find reasons not to pay .There is also no ambulance service in Bali, so you get your self to hospital or die at the scene - you won't get any professional help at the scene at all. ( I was pulled across the road by locals, who removed my split helmet and poured water over my face. i remember been stood up twice and passing out both times - I will say that everyone who was there seemed to be trying to help with the best of intentions - I also had a large amount of cash under my motorbike seat as I was off to pay a deposit on a shipping order , it was over 10 million - the bike was obliterated in the crash and all my possessions were across the road - a Balinese gentleman came over with my money and put it in my pocket and told me to keep it safe .( Balinese people are in general so kind and warm hearted )

If you read this, then take one thing away from it -

WEAR A CRASH HELMET, AND DO IT UP.

IF THE HELMET THEY GIVE YOU IS RUBBISH- MOST OF THEM ARE VERY POOR QUALITY - GO TO A HELMET SHOP AND BUY A NEW ONE THAT FITS PROPERLY AND DOES UP EASILY AND QUICKLY. .

I take a UK kite marked helmet with me, and was wearing a brand new one when this happened. I also ride a large motorbike in the UK and know to ride defensively and be aware of the dangers. The accident was 100% the other parties fault.

The number of pretty surfer girls riding along with their hair blowing in the wind is really scary - whilst i was in hospital a girl came in after hitting a kerb head first when she came off the moped - she died in the reception of the hospital - I was at the hospital for 6 days after surgery, during that time a man from the EU had also been bought in dead after a crash in to the back of a car. I read that he was wearing a helmet, but it wasn't done up and this caused severe brain damage that lead to his death a day later.

PLEASE WEAR A HELMET - PLEASE DO IT UP AND DON'T EVEN CONSIDER RIDING A BIKE IN BALI IF YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE. OR INSURANCE . YOU ARE VERY LIKELY TO CAUSE OR BE INVOLVED IN A SERIOUS ACCIDENT. I TOOK EVERY PRECAUTION - DON'T THINK IT COULDN'T HAPPEN TO YOU .

I still visit Bali, and I still ride a bike there . But for the main road journeys I always take a taxi, and if I go for a beer in the evening, I leave the bike at my apartment . It's just not worth it ... Do your own research in to motorbike deaths on the island - it's quite sobering -

Safe travels and I hope this message can help to save a life - perhaps it will be yours ...

Mermaid Beach...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Motorbike accidents in Bali - My near death experience 2017
Save

Hi James thank you for telling your story and I hope everything is good health wise for you. I am in Bali now and I have been here 20+ times. I don’t ride a bike here as it is not about how competent you are it is about the poor road conditions that probably won’t save you. You know you were extremely lucky to have not died on the side of the road. My Balinese friends niece who was 20yo died yesterday after being hit by a truck. The sad thing is,the people that should read this,won’t. I see tourist rigging with no helmets in Kuta all the time. Last week the police had road blocks on Jalan Legian near the memorial and 2 nights later in poppies 2 nesr bounty hotel. I also hope this could save someone’s life. Richard.

5 posts
2. Re: Motorbike accidents in Bali - My near death experience 2017
Save

Hi Richard.

Thanks for posting a response. That's really sad news to hear of the young girl who lost her life yesterday.

I hear what you say in that the article won't reach everyone who needs to read it, but it might reach a few people who could end up on the island and see others not wearing a helmet and think it's OK. Lots of young and impressionable people go there on holiday. So any parents out there who end up reading these threads - do not let your kids ride a bike without a helmet, and unless you have very deep pockets, it would pay to make sure that they have the right insurance to cover a bike up to 125cc. Richards point about road conditions is absolutely correct - you never know what is around or in the middle of the next corner - and 9 times out of 10, it won't be rider error, it will be a third party or a gaping hole or gravel in the road that throws you off balance and perhaps in to the path of oncoming traffic ..

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
19 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Motorbike accidents in Bali - My near death experience 2017
Save

Thanks for that James. A very sobering account of your accident and hopefully it will give people seriousbthoughts about how or if they ride motor cycles in Bali. Glad you survived!

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
166 reviews
151 helpful votes
4. Re: Motorbike accidents in Bali - My near death experience 2017
Save

Thank you James, your one very lucky man.

I hope your story wakes up a few people, but there are a lot of reckless travellers about.

I am please you have recovered well, but obviously you have had to endure a lot of pain and suffering.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Motorbike accidents in Bali - My near death experience 2017
Save

thank you James, it's indeed sobering and happens more regularly than people think...my friends daughter - mid 20's was in Bali a few weeks ago, she has helmet, correct insurance etc and was riding her scooter on Sunset Road - to pick up a friend's leather jacket order...riding with her long blonde hair blowing in the wind...she had thieves slash her bag from the back and they stole the bag, but it made her lose her balance and she hit the road while driving...some kind locals took her BIMC-luckily she was conscious...the hospital wouldn't work on her until they got payment(insurance eventually paid, but her mum her in Perth had to pay $7000 upfront). she had her operation there and thankfully is now recovering back here in Perth...she is very capable and careful riding in Bali...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
37 reviews
34 helpful votes
6. Re: Motorbike accidents in Bali - My near death experience 2017
Save

Thanks so much for sharing your story, it sounds like you are lucky to be alive and I can't even comprehend how you got through it, particularly in emergency with no pain relief and trying to deal with the insurance company.

Last time we went to Ubud we dined at a restaurant that has only scooter access. 4 waiters from the restaurant met us in the middle of Ubud with 4 scooters and took us to the restaurant, maybe 4 km away. No helmets and at the time it felt like a fabulous experience. It was in the pouring rain, over slippery cobblestone type roads.

It seems we are more likely to do things on holidays that we wouldn't consider doing at home. I can't imagine at home putting my kids on a scooter without a helmet being ridden by someone I've never met before! Am I over thinking it?

Ballajura, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
102 reviews
33 helpful votes
7. Re: Motorbike accidents in Bali - My near death experience 2017
Save

Thanks for sharing your experience James. After many visits to Bali, I still cannot believe the amount of people that ride without a helmet. Even for experienced riders it's chaos so it's a lottery for the inexperienced. I've ridden bikes for years but made up my mind long ago not to ride in Bali after seeing what happened to a local that had come off his scooter. As happened to you, well meaning locals were trying to stand him up and he kept falling down as he was seriously injured. But some think that it won't happen to them so it'll continue despite all the warnings. Anyway glad to hear you're on the mend and hopefully back in good health.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
872 posts
8. Re: Motorbike accidents in Bali - My near death experience 2017
Save

A big thankyou James, i probably need a bit of a wake up, next trip when i rent a speda motor i will remember your name...

gold coast
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
24 reviews
8 helpful votes
9. Re: Motorbike accidents in Bali - My near death experience 2017
Save

That is a horrendous accident. You are indeed lucky to be alive. Thank you so much for such a timely reminder as holiday brain does tend to takeover. I hope you are healing and never have to go thru this again.

sydney
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
18 reviews
8 helpful votes
10. Re: Motorbike accidents in Bali - My near death experience 2017
Save

Wow what a story. Thank you for sharing this. Hope you are now fully recovered.

Its amazing that you would even get back on a bike after that.

These are all the reason why I wouldnt ride in Bali.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.