We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali spending money - South African

3 posts
Save Topic
Bali spending money - South African

Hi everyone, new to tripadvisor so not sure if a similar question has been asked. My husband and I are going to Bali next year July. We are planning to take about R35 000 as spending money (flights and accommodation not included) for 10 days (R3500 per day). We are staying in Seminyak, Ubud and Gili Meno. Would it be enough for the two of us for transport (to Gili Meno as well), activities like snorkeling, temples etc and food?

Never been so no idea if our range is too little or too much

Thank you!

10 replies to this topic
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,542 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali spending money - South African

HI Bernhav: Only Indonesian rupiah is legal currency in Indonesia . When you are trying to work out your budget or ask advice here it's better to state it in rupiah so we can give you suggestions.

As to specifics, the range of accomodation options are enormous, so perhaps best to decide for yourself how much you want to spend on accomodation first - possible ranges could be between 500,000 rupiah to 9 million rupiah per night ! The food is also variable...you could eat well between 50,000 for simple meal or 600,000 for a gourmet degustation meal..things like wine really are expensive so it just depends on you.

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali spending money - South African

Thanx for replying

Sorry about that - the spending money is about 35 000 000 indonesian rupiah. We have already paid for accomodation and flights seperate to those available funds. That money is purely for average food, transport and activities, so just need an idea if we are taking enough for two people for average food (not expensive dining) as well as water activities and transport

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali spending money - South African

Well it is around 3M IDR per day when you take fees in to account, it is going to depend on a few things like how fancy you want to go. Is breakfast included at your hotels? If so this reduces your costs. There are warungs (local restaurants) in seminyak that you can get pancakes and coffee for under 50K IDR. Temples are notmally free or only 20K IDR entry. I would suggest getting a driver and doing a few in one day, from seminyak maybe do Tanah Lot then Jatiluwih rice terraces and then either the floating temple at bedugul or there is also a quiet temple not far from the rice terraces. Ubud also has rice terraces and temples nearby . There is also a cooking school in ubud which was a great half day activity it is called paon and it was only about 300 or 350K IDR per person and that includes them picking u up from your accom then they take you to the markets then rice terraces then you go to the cooking school and you and a group of others cook up a big meal almost buffet style. So many laughs all teas coffee and water included and beer was about 25K IDR. I would try and do a couple of cheaper days and a couple of treat days. Most activities are not costly and your budget should allow for your activities. I'm not sure of the cost to travel to gili melo however

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali spending money - South African

Don't think you can change SA rand in Bali.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,542 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali spending money - South African

A private driver with full car including parking and gas is about 600,000 for an 8ish hour day. Many things like rafting and bike rides down from the Batur volcano include pickup and drop off so you don't need drivers every day. For short hops it could be 50,000 to 100,000 or so, possibly more depending on other factors.

Food can be as expensive or as cheap as you want (as with most places around SEA)

Even the amazing dance and gamelan performances in Bali are mostly less than rp 100,000 pp, and if you go to a temple ceremony it's free. (many people prefer to wear the traditional pakaian adat which you could possibly borrow from the people hosting you or buy an inexpensive set of atttire. Balinese spend huge amounts of money on dress for ceremonies but as a tourist you wouldn't be expected to dress as well.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,040 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali spending money - South African

Hi bernhav,

Firstly I suggest you give your exact Overall itinerary especially as you've included Gili Meno.

This is important as you say you have already paid for your accommodation and flights. So unless you can cancel it it means you have a very rigid itinerary.

It is important because of fastboat services to/from Islands and departure/Arrival ports Bali. This will also determine which service to use.

In Addition there are very few fastboat Services that go to Meno.

Also your exact flight Arrival/departures can be important.

It is also important to note that it isn't advisable to be "off Bali" on the day of departure

Perth
Level Contributor
656 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali spending money - South African

Your budget is large enough to have a good time in Bali.

Enjoy!

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali spending money - South African

Thank you for everyone's replies and advice! We don't have an exact itinerary yet since we are pretty laid back about planning exactly what we want to do, we are mostly going to relax and take things one day at a time. We are landing Sunday 15/07 and staying 4 nights in Seminyak, then 2 nights on Gili Meno then last 3 nights in Ubud. I have done some research regarding the transfer to Gili Meno and found a few options. I know they only travel like once or twice a day so we will plan around it.

At this point we are only saving up spending money while we are in Bali. We have breakfast included so it's only for lunch, supper and snacks. We don't plan on going to the fancy restaurants, we want to experience local food. And for activities it's mostly seeing the temples, rice terraces, some snorkeling and visiting some beaches. And we will probably hire a driver for each day

Hope this is enough information :)

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,960 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali spending money - South African

IDR 35 million lasts myself & husband for around 5 weeks, and includes the payment for our budget hotels as well. It's a massive budget as you've told us you're not going to fancy restaurants etc.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,040 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali spending money - South African

Then as cbimages said a large Budget.

On our last trip in May for 12 days I took €800 cash. Think the wife had €400.

Out of my €800 paid €220 for diving and €180 for accommodation (4 nights in beach Bungalows). All the rest of accommodation was paid for including breakfast.

Paid IDR900k for Transfers between DPS/Amed/Kuta and had 2 part days private Driver at IDR400k each

Generally for 2 People Lunch ~ IDR200k evening meal IDR330k. Sometimes beers on the beach IDR100k

Reply to: Bali spending money - South African
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted