We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hours in transit in hong kong in October 2013.

Far North Qld
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
7 hours in transit in hong kong in October 2013.

I am in transit on the way to Sydney in October and have 7 hours to waste in Hong Kong airport. I would like to see a little bit if possible. Any ideas? I have read about a day pass to the Marriott hotel fitness c entre which would be okay, but I wouldn't mind getting out and seeing some of Hong Kong if time permits.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hours in transit in hong kong in October 2013.

7 hours is tight. But you can go out to the harbour, walk around, take a look, then back to the airport. You need to factor in at least 1 hour of coming out through immigration/custom to Arrival Hall, and 1 hour of going back in (security/immigration).

I would recommend something like this:

- Take Airport Bus A21 out to Tsim Sha Tsui. Alight at stop #14 "Middle Road, Nathan Road". The ride is scenic. Take the upperdeck, up front. You will see the Tsing Ma Bridge top deck and the iconic Nathan Road along the route. Takes about 70 minutes.

- Walk towards Avenue of the Stars (need to find subterrain pedestrian crossing).

- Walk along the harbour front promenade (very scenic - Victoria Harbour) towards Star Ferry.

- Take a Star Ferry Ride to Central (Pier #7).

- From there, it is a short walk to MTR Hong Kong Station (about 5 minutes). You may take an Airport Express Train back to the airport. Headways is 10 minutes. Riding time is 24 minutes.

- Somewhere in between, you can have a quick meal or snack.

Check on the link to the right under Top Questions About Hong Kong on "Layovers - Can I see the city?" for some other ideas.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,852 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hours in transit in hong kong in October 2013.

7 hours totally free or 7 hrs including exit from the plane and checking back in? It makes a huge difference. Also which 7 hrs in the day are you talking about? If it's 7 hrs free, then you can easily take the airport express train into town, maybe go up to the Peak, ride the Star Ferry, have lunch, etc.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hours in transit in hong kong in October 2013.

There used to be a firm that did tours, but you needed to have seven hours free. They'd pick you up and deposit you back at the airport. That's probably how I'd do it if they still existed and I had the time. Otherwise, as suggested you could take the AirPort Express into town wander around a bit – maybe go to the peak have something to eat. Hong Kong airport is quite efficient, so I'd be worried about check-in time rather than customs and immigration.

Far North Qld
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hours in transit in hong kong in October 2013.

not really bothered about shopping. I love history and would like to see anything to do with colonialism and the change to Chinese rule, old buildings that sort of stuff.

Thanks to those who have already posted. It seems most people are bothered about shopping. What is wrong with me???

Moscow
Level Contributor
849 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hours in transit in hong kong in October 2013.

Can one get to see the Big Buddha AND get into the city (walk in Central, ride the star ferry, go up the Peak) in 9 hours (from touch down to take-off) ?

What's the best means to travel to the Buddha?

Is the bus ride into the center worth the view along the way?

Moscow
Level Contributor
849 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 hours in transit in hong kong in October 2013.

Another question about traveling from Central area to the Big Buddha, please: is the ferry from Central to Mui Wo a practical option? How long is the journey? And how does one get from the ferry to the cable car (bus or taxi) ? Alternately, what is the cost of a taxi going directly from the ferry to the Buddha?

Hong Kong, China
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 hours in transit in hong kong in October 2013.

You can take the airport express train to Hong Kong Station, then go to the Star Ferry Pier to take the H1 open-top bus (http://www.rickshawbus.com/en/home/index.html), an one hour journal, which takes you to some colonial old buildings in the Western part of HK Island. After that, you can take the Star Ferry to Tsim Sha Tsui to have a tea in the Pennisula Hotel (nice old building), and take the free airport express shuttle to the Kowloon Station (or take the airport bus A21 if time permits).

Moscow
Level Contributor
849 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 hours in transit in hong kong in October 2013.

Thanks @jcool23. However, my questions are about going up the Peak and/ or seeing the Buddha. Sitting in the rickshaw bus is not a particularly appealing option after a 10 hour flight.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 hours in transit in hong kong in October 2013.

Re#6, the ferry from Central to Mui Wo takes about 35 or 55 mins depending on type of ferry, Fast Ferry (catamaran) or Ordinary Ferry (double-deck conventional boat). Link to the timetable is below, Ordinary Ferry sailings are marked *, all other sailings are Fast Ferry;

nwff.com.hk/eng/fare_table/central-mui_wo/

From Mui Wo Ferry Pier Bus Terminus, bus 2 goes to Ngong Ping, the location of the Big Buddha and the Ngong Ping Cable Car Terminus. The journey takes about 35 mins. Timetable is here;

http://www.newlantaobus.com/road_2.htm

Taxi from the taxi rank outside Mui Wo ferry pier to Ngong Ping would cost about HK$130 and take about 20/25 mins.

The cable car operates from 10am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 6-30pm on weekends and public holidays.

A faster way to reach the Buddha from Central is to take MTR from Hong Kong Station to Tung Chung (30 mins), then take the cable car from the cable car terminus at Tung Chung (3 mins walk from the MTR station) to Ngong Ping (25 mins). However, there are often queues for the cable car, which can be lengthy. Taxi from Tung Chung to Ngong Ping costs about HK$160 and takes about 30 mins.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 hours in transit in hong kong in October 2013.

Riko09:

With due respect, you are hijacking this developing thread, which is only 1-day old, and steering it in a totally different direction. Different goals. Different circumstances. jcool23's suggestion was, I believe, intended for the opening poster. It is making the discussions very hard to follow.

It is a very simple task to start your own topic, and it will receive the proper replies.