We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Hong Kong Part 3

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
JBR Hong Kong Part 3

Wednesday 3rd Oct 2012

We checked out of Sheraton Macau at 12pm. Decided to head to Ferry terminal to see if we could get on an earlier ferry to HK, as I had booked a 3.30pm ferry originally. No problems, caught the next Cotaijet leaving. Caught a taxi to Harbourview Hotel to pick up our luggage that we had stored.

Taxi to Kowloon and checked into YMCA – The Salisbury hotel in TST for 1 night. The location of this hotel is ideal, just off Nathan Road. They gave us a room overlooking the harbour. I think if we were higher up the views would have been even better. Room was small as is usual in HK. But it was clean, so no complaints. Only problem was the rock hard bed, even hubby complained. We were up and down all night as we just couldn’t get comfortable. But at least we had a great view over the harbour to look at during our restless night.

Had dinner at “Outback Steakhouse” for the 2nd time. This time we had the marinated ribs and steak combo. It was divine. So tender and tasty. This was more than enough for the two of us. But hubby ordered the “no thrills pasta” as well. We couldn’t eat it all, as the portions are large.

Caught the MTR to Temple Street Markets. Much the same as the Ladies Market. But for some reason I still prefer the Ladies Market.

Thursday 4th Oct

Packed up and checked out of The Salisbury. Stored our luggage at the hotel.

Caught the MTR to Diamond Hill to Nan Lian Gardens & Chi Lin Nunnery. Peaceful, tranquil & beautiful gardens. Entry is free. Worth the effort of going if you have the time. Spent over an hour walking around the gardens. MTR to Diamond Hill, exit c. Walk up a slight hill beside the shopping mall. Cross the road at the lights and you are there.

My shutter on my camera decided not to work, while we were at the gardens. Had to go buy a new camera for the rest of our holidays.

Went to the Spaghetti House for lunch. Very good spaghetti bolognaise, garlic bread & salmon salad.

We decided to catch a taxi to the airport for HK$220 including luggage. Express Airport Train would have cost us HK$160 for the two of us. Plus whatever our taxi fare from hotel to Kowloon station would have cost. Probably another HK$30 as it was peak hour traffic. So for the extra HK$30 (A$4) it wasn’t worth the hassle of lugging our luggage around getting on & off trains.

Taxi driver dropped us off at T1 as this is where you check in. You then walk to T2 (arrivals & departure terminal (via underground walk ways) to go through immigration and to board your plane. Always allow a bit extra time to clear immigration as HK airport is very busy and it takes a while.

We went to the Express Airport & Octopus card desk, to get a refund of our deposit on our Octopus cards and a refund on the remaining balance of the card. They charged HK$9 on each card for fees.

There is a “Disneyland” shop in the duty free shopping area. So if you wished to had bought whatever at Disneyland and didn’t, here is your last chance to buy. Same price & same stuff as at Disneyland.

Smoking room at airport is located near gate 26. Not sure if there are others.

Plane flew over Disneyland and tipped its wings. It was night and all lit up. Lovely sight.

We land at Penang close to midnight. Luckily I have finally learnt to sleep on planes, as we both slept all the way to Penang.

Cheers. Danuta.

Queensland
Level Contributor
662 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR Hong Kong Part 3

Thanks Danuta, lots of great info, Ella

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,938 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR Hong Kong Part 3

Great report, Danuta!

One clarification though: I think it is the other way around. Some airlines handle check-in in Terminal 2. The arrival hall, departure hall, and immigration check are all in Terminal 1.

hongkongairport.com/eng/passenger/departure/…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR Hong Kong Part 3

Great info,we are going to HK on friday so all realy useful stuff,thanks for taking the time to share your experience

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,166 posts
5,418 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR Hong Kong Part 3

More good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Glad to read that Outback was good for you. Its a safe bet for steaks in HK for good steaks.

5. Re: JBR Hong Kong Part 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 15:16