We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Hong Kong baby friendly?

Singapore
Level Contributor
192 posts
7 reviews
Is Hong Kong baby friendly?

Hi,

I'm planning to bring my 3mth old baby for a short trip. Is Hong Kong a baby friendly place to go? Any hotels in Hong Kong that place restrictions on babies (not welcomed) like what they do in New Zealand?

Thanks!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,715 posts
443 reviews
1. Re: Is Hong Kong baby friendly?

I have never heard of hotels in NZ restricting babies (I think it would be unlawful). However you need to consider how you will travel with your baby. Will you bring a baby capsule for use in taxis or a baby carrier/front pack for walking. Hong Kong streets are crowded, narrow and hilly so not stroller friendly. Obviously local children thrive, but many remain in apartment complexes (with nannies or grandparents) and are not exposed to the noise on the streets or to the crush ion public transport.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,262 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Is Hong Kong baby friendly?

Depends what you mean by friendly, and I guess how old your baby is. As mentioned it's not particularly pushchair friendly, but restaurants in particular are brilliant compared with many other countries. Haven't come across one that didn't cater for families in some way yet. I would suggest however that you use some sort of front pack if your child is very young, rather than use a pushchair.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,207 posts
171 reviews
3. Re: Is Hong Kong baby friendly?

It's best to bring a fairly light-weight stroller for easier navigation. The streets are crowded so using a stroller on the sidewalk can be difficult at times. Many MTR stations still don't have escalators or lifts that go all the way from street level so you have to carry the stroller up/down some steps at times. A small is easier to fold and put into the boot/trunk of the taxi. Also, in heavy traffic areas such as Nathan Road, you might want to hold the baby in the arms so he/she doesn't sit in a stroller near the road and breathe in all the exhaust.

Higher-end establishments and large shopping malls typically have good facilities for babies, including changing boards in the restrooms.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
898 posts
159 reviews
4. Re: Is Hong Kong baby friendly?

You should be fine, HK'ers love babies. Don't forget, they have them too!

Not known any hotels to place restrictions on babies, but bring a sling if you have one (if not then, as mentioned, a lightweight stroller), it will make your visit a lot easier.

Expect lots of attention from old ladies (actually, people in general) as they coo over baby.

5. Re: Is Hong Kong baby friendly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2010, 14:18