We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Octopus Card - Purchase and Refund

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
23 posts
Octopus Card - Purchase and Refund

I'm heading to Hong Kong and have always purchased an Octopus Card on prior visits due to the convenience it brings.

However, I do not recall if one can purchase the Octopus Card with a credit card. Does anyone know? I will also be purchasing an airport express ticket at the airport upon arrival.

Also, for returning the Octopus Card does anyone know how late the service centers are staffed to return the card at the airport (or at the airport express station in Kowloon)? I happen to have a very late evening flight for my departure.

Thank you!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,186 posts
171 reviews
1. Re: Octopus Card - Purchase and Refund

Octopus Card can only be purchased by cash. The Airport Express ticket can be purchased with a credit card at the service counter.

How late is your flight? You should be able to return the card at Kowloon Station as long as the Airport Express trains are still running.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,709 posts
443 reviews
2. Re: Octopus Card - Purchase and Refund

I'm pretty sure you need cash for an Octopus - but if you visit regularly why don't you keep the card? They last 3 years from last use.

Level Contributor
4,212 posts
177 reviews
3. Re: Octopus Card - Purchase and Refund

Depending on the activities for any three consecutive calendar days during your stay, you may wish to consider the Airport Express Tourist Pass. A discount is offered for advance purchase over the Internet and you may use a credit card. However, you need to first calculate/determine whether you will use the MTR enough to more than breakeven, then the AETP is suitable for you. It works for those who will be riding the MTR a lot during the 3 consecutive calendar days. You may load additional $$ into this AETP for other uses. As for the "regular" Octopus card, purchase by cash only. Credit cards are accepted for Airport Express tickets. Additional information on MTR tourist products is at this link:

www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/products_index.html

4. Re: Octopus Card - Purchase and Refund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2010, 15:17