We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island or Kowloon?

Denmark
Level Contributor
164 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Island or Kowloon?

Hi all

Thanks to those of you who helped me decide to go to HK next. I really look forward to it - I just don't hope my work get in the way now.

I've looked through the forum but I'm still a little confused about best place to stay - Is it Hong Kong Island or Kowloon side?

I obviously want to be close to everything in a nice area at a nice hotel with a nice view from my room - Is it really to much to ask? *lol*

Thanks in advance - The great dane

Mentioned in this post
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,818 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island or Kowloon?

Have you looked at the top 10 questions about Hong Kong? You will find your question with a detailed answer there.

In short, it doesn't matter whether you stay on HK island or Kowloon. In terms of specific hotel, it depends on you budget, but if you want a view, you pay a lot.

Mentioned in this post
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,818 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Denmark
Level Contributor
164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island or Kowloon?

Thanks - I didnt notice the top 10 questions until after I posted my answer. Sorry.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Island or Kowloon?

If you post your budget here, I'm sure everyone will be able to provide some hotel suggestions. :)

Good luck with your planning and have an AMAZING time in HK! :)

Denmark
Level Contributor
164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island or Kowloon?

Random-Sunshine - Thanks ;o)

I haven't really thought about a budget... Is 2000 - 2500 HKD a realistic price per night for a decent hotel in a nice location? If any of you have experiences from nice hotel stays in HK or you have any input in this matter please feel free to drop me a suggestion. I normally book directly at the hotel homepage but I'm not really sure if that's actually where you'll get the best deals?.Sometimes I've read about people here at TA who did great deals on other homepages but everytime I've checked them out they turned out to be just as expensive as booking directly with the hotel.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,518 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island or Kowloon?

Depending on the season, HKD2,000 to 2,500 will get you into many nicer hotels, perhaps with the exception of the top end luxury hotels. Still, this budget could get you into the following:

Kowloon Shangri-la

Intercontinental Grand Stanford

Langham Place

Conrad

Renaissance Harbour View

Renaissance Kowloon

Mentioned in this post
Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong
Kowloon Shangri-La Hong...
3,917 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
InterContinental Grand Stanford
InterContinental Grand...
2,956 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Langham Place
Langham Place
487 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel
Renaissance Hong Kong...
3,095 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,818 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island or Kowloon?

Ran into your post on the Vancouver forum and decided to look for your post here as I visit here once or twice a week.

Glad you chose HK over Vancouver (from someone who used to live in British Columbia). HK is truly a world class city and even through Vancouver/Whistler is preparing to host the Winter Olympics, you'll get so much more culture out of a HK trip.

For budget hotels, take a look a the YMCA Salisbury on the Kowloon side. Yes, it's the Y (not sure if you have Y's in Denmark) but most don't even consider it as a hotel. The first few floors of the building are used for schools and community based events but the upper floors house hotel rooms. For about $75 Cdn a night, you can get a GREAT view of the Hong Kong skyline. Be sure to pay the extra price to guarantee this view. It's well worth the extra few dollars. You're in the middle of all the action and with HK's subway system, everyone is accessible.

Mentioned in this post
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,818 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong Skyline
Hong Kong Skyline
13,043 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island or Kowloon?

Was also going to recommend taking the 1 hour ferry ride over to Macau. It's the Vegas of the Orient!

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Island or Kowloon?

If you choose to stay in Kowloon near TST, be sure to avoid being a shopping victim near your hotel :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k251…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k479…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k102…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k616…

Mentioned in this post
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,818 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Denmark
Level Contributor
164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island or Kowloon?

I would need a visa to visit Macau right?

Denmark
Level Contributor
164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island or Kowloon?

Tin

Thanks a lot for your input. It's sad that it's necessary to warn visitors about things like that but I guess you can find dishonest people all over the world.

I appreciate your advice and I'll try not to get cheated ;o)