We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong dvd/vcd shops

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lugano
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Hong Kong dvd/vcd shops

I am a great fan of Hong Kong films, however some of the oldest one are difficult to find in online shops, as they are not printed anymore or for other reasons. So my simple question is if there are local stores that have a good offer of Hong Kong/Asians dvd/vcd and where are they located?

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong dvd/vcd shops

try the dvd shop behind Sogo in Causeway Bay.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong dvd/vcd shops

you can go to

my favourite WIN WIN , small shop but they have everyhing

Win Win (at ladies market)

G/F 49 Tung Choi Stret, Mongkok

there is also the chain WIDE SIGHT

which has a good variety.

I don´t remember their location but I know some are in Mong kok not far away from the ladies market

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
159 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong dvd/vcd shops

my brother and i buy our chinese dvd's from HMV. the last time i was there (may 2007) hmv was still there and with other branches like in central.

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong dvd/vcd shops

yup that's it. it's wide something behind the sogo mall

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
868 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong dvd/vcd shops

there are "cheapy" (that's the name BTW) all over the place that sell older HK movies on VCD for about 15 - 20 dollars. They have DVD as well but not sdo much the older ones. SOme places have most of the Shaw Brothers back catalogue available (not just the kung fu stuff but alot of the old B&W dramas too).

You could also try HK Records in Festival Walk in Kowloon Tong. It has a huge selection of local movies (lots more than HMV) at a reasonable price on both DVD and VCD. The branch in Pacific Place doesn't have as big a selection as the one in Kowloon Tong.

Just catch the MTR EAst rail to KT and follow the signs to festival walk. HK records is on one of the upper floors.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong dvd/vcd shops

i miss being able to buy very cheap dvd"s:(

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,181 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong dvd/vcd shops

There are many shops in Mong Kok (around the blocks of Ladies Market), Causeway Bay (Lockhart Road west of the back entrance of Sogo and also Percival Street near Times Square) and Tsim Sha Tsui (Hoi Phong Road and Cameron Road).

Toronto
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong dvd/vcd shops

It really depends on what you're looking for. As some posters have said, there are a ton of shops that sell cheap and often fake vcd and dvds. There are also brand name shops that sell real discs, but they are significantly more expensive.

Lugano
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong Kong dvd/vcd shops

I am looking especially of films from the late 70ies and 80ies, but also newer stuff is ok. As for the quality, I usually ordered vcd/dvd from yesasia.com, quality fo the products was decent enough and all of them had english subtitles. I am willing also to pay more if I am able to get decent quality editions.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hong Kong dvd/vcd shops

Win Win has a lot of Shaw Brothers DVDs , at the middle block , right sight bottom . If you contact them earlier they can get you special DVDs. I will look for their number.

maybe this helps you

kowloonside.com/extras/shopping/index.html