We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips- Shidu or Cuandixia?

Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Day Trips- Shidu or Cuandixia?

My family are visiting Beijing for 8 days, next week.

Besides a day to The Great Wall, which do you think would make the better day trip, Shidu or Cuandixia? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

My aim was to get out of the city and enjoy some natural scenery.

Are the roads to either location very windy?

Thanks

Beijing
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips- Shidu or Cuandixia?

I suggest Cuandixia, since it's different culture that you have experienced elsewhere. Shidu is more a nature sight and place for hiking tour.

Roads to both locations are in decent conditions, no rough roads.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips- Shidu or Cuandixia?

Shidu is about hiking and water activities. I'm not sure if for the last all facilities are open already.

Cuandixia is about culture.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,619 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips- Shidu or Cuandixia?

They are both good for a day trip. Shidu is more about outdoor scenery & activities and Cuandixia you get the old village & nice scenery.

Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips- Shidu or Cuandixia?

Thanks for your help, they both sound good, I am still deciding!

5. Re: Day Trips- Shidu or Cuandixia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 April 2012, 20:02
Edited: 13 April 2012, 20:02
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips- Shidu or Cuandixia?

It is still a bit early for Shidu featuring nature scenic.

BTW, if Yangshuo is put into your plan, Shidu trip will not be worth it. And if Pingyao plus surrounding also included, skip Cuandixia.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,619 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips- Shidu or Cuandixia?

Yes thats true, if you are going to Yangshuo then Shidu will pale in comparison. Shidu is kinda karst mountainish in style but no where as near as good as Yangshuo.

I think Cuandixia is still worth seeing even if you are going to Pingyao as they differ. And a drive thru the Beijing country side is nice, especially in spring.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips- Shidu or Cuandixia?

Pingyao's surrounding provides thouthands of Cuandixia villages. Shanxi features ancient villiages, towns and cities.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips- Shidu or Cuandixia?

The OP only mentions 8 days Beijing, and no other postings about China. So I guess that is their program.

Pingyao can be done in that time, but not as a day trip.

10. Re: Day Trips- Shidu or Cuandixia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2013, 00:56