We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faucet / Bathroom products store or market in Beijing?

Wellington
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Faucet / Bathroom products store or market in Beijing?

Hi,

can anyone please recommend any supermarket / shop / mall or equivalent in Beijing where I can buy bathroom accesories such as faucets, sinks etc? Need a good faucet so any shop or shopping centre with these kind of products would be greatly appreciated. I figure since almost all of them are made in China, there must be a place to buy these cheaper in Beijing, instead of paying overpriced European suppliers. I won't have time to "shop around" so perhaps there is one supermarket with several brands to go to?

Any help in this matter is highly appreciated!

Thank you.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Faucet / Bathroom products store or market in Beijing?

The fact that things are produced in China, do not necessarily make them more cheap in China.

Goods produced for export are in general more expensive in China then in the western countries.

Local brands will be cheaper, but then you need to be very careful about the quality. You will probably find this stuff at whole sale markets. The Bairong World Trade center might have this kind of stuff (chineseye.com/ce/printaddress/bid/616/t/biz)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,035 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Faucet / Bathroom products store or market in Beijing?

I disagree a little with BePu on that one. Imported luxury goods will be more expensive due to import taxes. for this sort of thing you may find good deal. There are shopping malls specializing in household appliances but now I forget where I saw one recently selling bathroom stuff. If I recall it I can come back here and give it to you.

Also I would check on Taobao which a shopping website, a bit like ebay. I am sure it is there but you need to speak chinese or have a chinese friend.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Faucet / Bathroom products store or market in Beijing?

I have bought a laptop in Beijing and must say that the prices I saw were certainly not lower then here in Europe, even though most of this is produced in China.

Also with clothing/shoes you see that the real stuff is not much cheaper in China. Like I bought Crocs slippers in the US, and I saw the same in Beijing for a higher price (real ones). And on mine it says "Made in China":-)

In my opinion, in general only the stuff that is meant for the Chinese (or Asian) market is cheaper. That does not mean that for the others you cannot find knock offs, but then you have to be careful that you do not buy fakes.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
287 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Faucet / Bathroom products store or market in Beijing?

I checked out a place called Shi Li He which had a mall dedicated to lights and adjacent to it, some malls selling bathroom fixtures, floor tiles and even furniture. I'm not sure about the prices of the bathroom fixtures, but judging from the prices of lights, things there should be pretty reasonable. Least they cost less than if I bought them in Singapore. Only problem is, you may need a Chinese speaker to help you out. I didn't see a single foreigner in the area and I doubt the shopkeepers speak English.

Beijing
Level Contributor
614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Faucet / Bathroom products store or market in Beijing?

You have 2 choices, go to a reputable store like B&Q and probably not save any money over prices in your home country, or go to a market like 4 mentions and hope what you're getting is a quality item. China may be the world's workshop, but made in China branded goods aren't always cheaper here (and more often than not are actually more expensive).

6. Re: Faucet / Bathroom products store or market in Beijing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2010, 15:23