We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hutongs

USA
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hutongs

During a trip to Bejing we are considering staying in a hutong. So far Shijia House and Hotel Cote Cour are on my list. Please recommend other similar properties hopefully close to a metro station or taxi.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hutongs

Hotel Cote Cour is a known goody - only small but plenty of charm. I guess you have read the reviews.

Shijia House - new kid on the block so there wont be many reviews maybe. The owners are already trying to fast list this as it is on Expedia & Wotif as well as others. Small (8 rooms). Excellent position (close to the Park Plaza - Wangfuging). Subway around the corner & you can walk to the Forbidden City. On the expensive side tho - perhaps because it is new.

Guxiang20 - Good hutong area but not near the subway & pricey.

Lusongyuan - excellent courtyard place with history. Good area but need a bit of renovation. The priced is really good for the location.

Courtyard 7 - another good one. Great location & you can walk to several locations. The subway is about a 15 minute walk how ever.

Court Yard View - Newly opened. Great location but a 15 minute walk to the subway.

Double Happiness Courtyard - excellent value for money. Location good. Subway 10 minutes walk. Recently renovated.

Mao Er Hutong b&b - I know it is number one on the TA B&B reviews... Great location but it is a long walk to the nearest subway . You also need to walk 10 minutes to the nearest street to get a taxi.

If you want to go small hotel style in good areas look at Bamboo garden Hotel, Days Inn, Hotel kapok.

USA
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hutongs

Does the Double Happiness Courtyard have an email address?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hutongs

www.doublehappinesshotel.com

- There are 40 rooms so this more a small hotel than guesthouse.

- Good heating & cooling (rooms have a radiator & airconditioner)

- PC & internet in rooms

- Lockable safe in the room, most rooms have small fridges.

- Little touches like newspapers in English, Bathroom amenities supplied

- Friendly staff who speak English

- Good sized rooms and bathrooms

- some western channels on the TV

- Breakfast is included with the room rate

- Good location

- Subway line 5. A 10 minute walk.

- The only hick up is taxis - you need to walk 200-300 meters to the main road to hail one or get dropped off.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hutongs

Another one I should have mentioned is Fish Inn in Xicheng District. www.fishinn.com.cn

It's newly opened. Close to either subway line 2 and 4. If you plan on using a taxi to get to somewhere like T/Square or the F/City its about a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride.

If you are looking on the TA review page the google map might be incorrect - it was showing as near Qianmen Dongdajie when in fact it is in the opposite direction. I have let TA know the correct location so hopefully they have corrected it. The guesthouse is between Dayuan hutong & Bingmaoi Hutong in Xicheng.

USA
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hutongs

Thanks again Annie for the info. The Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel web site doesn't show an email address do you know if they have one?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hutongs

No I don't sorry - weird their website does not have an email address. It used to

If you are trying to book direct with them phone them (they can speak English).

Or book thru a booking service:

try - booking.com/hotel/cn/beijing-double-happines… I haven't used this website before but they seem to have good prices & information.

Also compare the prices to the usual's - ctrip, Agoda, Expedia etc etc ;-)

USA
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hutongs

Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel has a second web site with an email address.

Hotel37.com

8. Re: Hutongs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 14:16