We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer in beijing

scotland
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
First timer in beijing

Going first time to china as like many just getting stuff off bucket list . We will be staying not to far frpm the forbidden city so looking for do,s and dont,s also looking for the more euthentic china from local markets to where the locals go to eat in area and such any info on where to go and areas to steer clear of much appreciated

6 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,153 posts
842 reviews
1. Re: First timer in beijing

Your question is very general.

Everywhere in China is authentic Chinese.

What sort of markets do you have in mind? Understand that Beijing is a big, modern international city.

For food, you can try some street food. While quite touristy, there is a street food off Wangfujing, about half way along the pedestrian street on the west side.

One place that is interesting is to go to the Qianmen and Dashilar area in late afternoon (west of Qianmen street). Many restaurants there and leave the main streets to walk around hutongs.

scotland
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: First timer in beijing

Thx jean was looking at a you tube video what shows thin back streets with many small restaurants in also seee markets perhaps up the back streets where the locals shop places like that . Deffo great wall terbogan run and cable car on agenda aswell as forbidden city so if anyone knows of any goid excursion places over there as well as I know booking through some top name excursion companies can charge you over the odds for something the exact same you can get elsewhere at half the cost

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,153 posts
842 reviews
3. Re: First timer in beijing

I lived in Beijing. I can assure you that most locals shop at the supermarket. If you have a link to that video, I can try to figure out where it is.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,835 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: First timer in beijing

Hi Dennie,

Very excited for you. Beijing is a wonderful city :-)

Can you show us the link for YouTube as it would help to try & locate where you are talking about.

There are still food markets that make for an interesting poke around. This neighborhood market ( & non tourist) is not too far from the Houhai Lake area: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Re…

There are also Hutong areas with plenty of local restaurants and lively neighborhoods. Beijing is interesting during the evenings and worth leaving your hotel for.

If you want to cut costs, rather than excursions with tour companies, DIY. It takes a bit of research but most of the major sites ( apart from areas of the Great Wall) are easily accessible via the subway and entrance fees are small. You can also hire English speaking audio guides at places like the Forbidden City, Summer Palace and Temple of Heaven.

Annie

Edited: 16 October 2018, 10:46
scotland
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: First timer in beijing

Hey Annie. We will be staying in the donghaun residentail area about 0.4 miles from the forbidden city ( dont know if I spelt place name right ) and this us the sort of areas I want to explore at night https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ORSlgBIVupg

Edited: 16 October 2018, 17:03
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
12 posts
78 reviews
6. Re: First timer in beijing

I go to China every couple of years to do some teaching, and I have been with a friend, brought my wife, and will be bringing my daughter (25 yrs old) in January. Each time that I'm in Beijing I use Alvin Benton (alvinbenton@hotmail.com). He is dependable, trust-worthy, and fair. It doesn't sound like you are wanting a guide, but you could email him and ask for some suggestions. As well, keep him in mind if you just want some one-on-one guiding. Happy travels!

Reply to: First timer in beijing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted