We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Express VPN

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
502 posts
3 reviews
Express VPN

Hello Experts,

After reading a lot of good reviews on Express VPN here on TA, I was about to make a purchase. When I checked there website ( https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-server ), under there full list of locations, China is not included.

Just wondering if Express VPN stopped covering Beijing, China? If so, is there any other company available as good as Express VPN?

Thank you.

31 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
486 posts
1. Re: Express VPN

I wonder why would you need a VPN server in China to bypass GFW?

California
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Express VPN

I'm in China and am accessing Google sites (search, maps and news) and my Gmail account using ExpressVPN, as I write this post.

I suspect what you are looking at is a list of server locations. No, there aren't any in China (except Hong Kong). The way it works is that you connect using Express VPN to a server outside of China. I'm currently connected to one of the Los Angeles servers.

Edited: 02 October 2018, 13:41
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
502 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Express VPN

Hello JohnP1950, So I create account and log in and pay Express VPN from Los Angeles and I will be able to use in Beijing?

I really need for google maps as I will be taking public transportation.

California
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Express VPN

Yes, download the app, create and pay for an account. When you use ExpressVPN it has a "smart location" function where it selects the server it wants to use outside of mainland China, or you can select a different server location from a list of quite a few around the world to connect with, which I do using one of the three Los Angeles servers since I live in the Southern Cal area. You can connect with any of the server locations on the list - doesn't have to be Los Angeles.

When the program starts it will go through a connection process which may take just a couple of seconds or sometime longer. If it cannot connect, you select a different server and try to connect again. No reason it won't work in Beijing, but I'm using it in Nanning - which is west of Guangzhou.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,105 posts
5. Re: Express VPN

Does it disconnect on it's own or can you stay connected with the same connection for more than a day?

And you can't use it in Beijing at all?

Edited: 02 October 2018, 17:02
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Express VPN

I'm also in China...in Beijing, and am typing this whilst connected via Express VPN, I am currently using the East London server location, in order to catch up with something on iPlayer.

We have been using Express for over a year now and have rarely had an issue with it. (We were once locked out because we hadn't downloaded the latest update, but the online customer service is great and sorted it all out for us).

Good luck..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Express VPN

Me too. I’m currently in Beijing and VPN Express has been a life saver.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
502 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Express VPN

Thank you everyone for responding.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Express VPN

Worked fine for me a few months ago in China.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
6 posts
74 reviews
10. Re: Express VPN

AMAP(.com) provides a FREE online map service. It details bus routes, operation hours, price, and you can search by bus numbers, or by bus-stop. You don't need a VPN to use this. Download from Google Playstore.

Reply to: Express VPN
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted