We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in China

Level Contributor
1 post
243 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in China

I bought from a Xian tourism agency a large package of guide / driver / transportation services for my 3 weeks long China trip. I was told by the agency that tipping is expected and they suggested US$23 for guides and US $12 for private drivers on a daily basis. In your experience, is this amount ok ? Have you experienced any trouble concerning tipping ? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
12 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in China

Tips is accepted in tourism in China now. For the ammount of tips, It depends on the services of the guide and driver.

Mentioned in this post
Portugal
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in China

Hello Kemie G,

Welcome to the TripAdvisor Forum.

I noticed that you posted your topic in the Portuguese forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the English one.

Thank you for your participation!

Happy travels,

TA_Maryjane

TripAdvisor Community Moderator

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,317 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in China

That's way too much.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,762 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in China

Hopefully that was not per person.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
750 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in China

We were told by our guide to tip the driver and Terra Cotta Warrior guide 10cny each. Our tour company also suggested $5 US a day for our tour guide per person.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,498 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in China

I would tell the agency to go fly a kite and read Article 41 of the Tourism Law of the PRC.

Tour guides are not allowed to ask for tips. However you may of course give a tip based on your own personal choice. However the amounts suggested are simply outrageous.

For those interested here is the relevant part of Article 41:

Tour guides and tour leads shall strictly follow the itinerary, shall not alter it or stop the services they are providing without permission or to ask for tips from tourists or lure, cheat, compel or force tourists in a disguised form to make purchases or participate in tourism activities that require additional payment.

Salem
Level Contributor
18 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in China

We signed up for a private tour, China Odyssey Tours, and that was their recommendation also. We just figured it was part of the cost but only if they do a great job. I would NEVER drive in China. Our drivers and guides were very good.

Mentioned in this post
China Odyssey Tours
China Odyssey Tours
1,167 Reviews
Beijing, China
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
403 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in China

Tipping isn't common in China, but tour guides LOVE suggesting little extra "if you are satisfied with our services". Which doesn't make much sense since usually foreigners are already paying 3-4 times more for the same service (compare to Chinese people). It's common to believe that whoever comes from abroad is swimming in cash hahaha

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
629 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in China

Is the tour paid for or not? If it's paid I would tip only if the performance was outstanding. Good performance should be included in the paid price.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
167 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping in China

Reply #6 is your answer.

To be asked for a tip is not the norm. If I receive good service I round up for taxi drivers and leave a couple of RMB at restaurants but that's about it.

Reply to: Tipping in China
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted