We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mara lodging advice please

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mara lodging advice please

Hey everyone,

My partner and I are planning a three night stay in Mara toward the end of October before flying down to Durban for a wedding and would like some advice on:

Accommodation

Locations

In the reserve or in the conservancies

The shortlist properties are: Governors IL Moran, Intrepids, Bushtops and Suruni Mara.

Suruni and Bushtops would appear to be highest on my list but are they in what one would consider prime game viewing locations, Saruni looks quite far out of the reserve for instance?

Thanks and if anyone has any other recommendations, feel free to share. My budget is in line with the above.

Spain
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mara lodging advice please

I will pick governors my friends did that and they found it to be good. Book with a local tour operator to get a better rate.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mara lodging advice please

If you only have 3 nights, you'll be staying in just one camp or lodge (no point moving for a night), otherwise I would suggest splitting your stay between the reserve and a conservancy, staying maybe 2 or 3 nights inside the reserve and 3 nights in the conservancy you choose. The advantage of this is the possibility of getting some late migration action in the reserve, where you'd have to accept the much busier environment and the rarity of having a wildlife sighting to yourself (minibuses and lots of 4x4s at most significant sightings), followed by a much quieter time in a conservancy where you'd rarely have more than a handful of vehicles anywhere near you.

Maybe the best solution would be somewhere close the reserve boundary, but quietly located in a conservancy, like Kicheche Bush Camp, in the Olare Motorogi Conservancy. This camp is ideal if you're a really keen wildife enthusiast, and especially if you love your photography, as their guides (all silver) are exceptionally good spotters and good at positioning their vehicles. From Kicheche Bush Camp you can visit the reserve easily on an all-day game drive if it looks like river crossings might be happening (a bit late, but still possible).

Governors (Main, Il Moran, and LIttle) camps are all good, and in a good, but busy part of the reserve. Saruni Mara is a lovely camp/lodge, in a beautiful spot, in the far north of Mara North Conservancy. You need a bit more luck on your side for wildife up there, or accept some long drives further south, or into the resere. I wouldn't bother with Bushtops, which has its own small private concession, in the far east of the ecosystem, but is largely surrounded by non-wildlife areas.

Hope that helps - happy planning!

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa

Edited: 28 April 2016, 03:54
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mara lodging advice please

Thank you both.

Richard-I've read that its best to stay in a conservancy, for he reasons you highlighted, and that I guess staying close to the reserve is the best of both worlds. Kicheche looks great, is it considered luxury though? Can you recommend any other accommodation that has excellent service and high end rooms/tents in the southern part of north conservancy?

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mara lodging advice please

I stayed at Olare Mara Kempinski earlier this month. Not sure which part of the Mara it is located in but it was superb and definitely has fabulous rooms and excellent service.

https:/…

Nairobi, Kenya
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mara lodging advice please

will pick Mara Serena me and family we stayed there for 2 nights . We Booked with a local tour operator .My family they were so happy because i booked the best lodge.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mara lodging advice please

While Saruni and Bushtops are fine with nice game drive, though this depend on the season when you visit Masai Mara. Therefore in end of October still many of wildlife will be at Mara River so the close Lodges like Ashnil, Keekorok or Sopa Lodge will still offer you the best adventure for the 3 nights stay.

All the best.

Ancient Wild

nyc
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mara lodging advice please

Ashnil and Keekorok are both far south... stay away (might as well stay at Saruni which is a a beauty.)

Sopa Lodge is located to the east outside of the reserve.... I'd avoid.

Consider Givernor's or Lil Governors.

8. Re: Mara lodging advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 May 2016, 17:05
9. Re: Mara lodging advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2017, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...