We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kichwa Tembo vs Olonana vs Ngenche vs Smth else? Please!!!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kichwa Tembo vs Olonana vs Ngenche vs Smth else? Please!!!

Greetings!!

First of all sorry for my English and possible mistakes in advance. Would like to ask expert advice.

23-27 July I am planing to have Safari at Mara with my Dad. This is my second safari (first was in Sabi Sand Lion Sands Ivory Lodge -Luxury one) and this is first safari for my Dad and I wish so badly he will love this experience. Sabi Sand is private part of Kruger with off road drive and I think it's more like Mara conservancy experience so this time I would like to have smth different and see as much animals as possible and of course river crossing. So I think the only option for us is stay inside the National Reserve or very close to the gates. Our budget is about 6300$ for 4 nights maximum and it is quite big amount but I can't find so nice camp inside theNational Reserve as we had in SA, really beautiful even more expensive here in Mara. I choose three of them which I like KICHWA TEMBO - I am not very impressed with the tents they are small and quite ascetic and haven't mosquito nets over the bed. But I like camp public area it's big and has beautiful pool as I can see on the travelers photos and warthogs are also so nice (Bauteler camp exceeds our budget so not under consideration), then OLONANA is it better or worse? What is your opinion? And the third I am looking at is NGENCHE Safari Camp. My concern is Ngenche too small and cramped? And actualy the price is relatively low compared with another camps in spite of good location, what is the reason?

Could you give me advice which one to choose from this list and maybe suggest more camps in this price/comfort category which I am not mention above?

Many thanks!!!

Edited: 10 April 2016, 17:01
Serian Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Freeman Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris, Photography Tours
Romford, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kichwa Tembo vs Olonana vs Ngenche vs Smth else? Please!!!

we stayed in kichwa tembo a couple of years ago,the tents have toilet and showers in them, we thought it was fantastic with wild boars laying around the camp and they never bothered us, and the food was superb, all iall a terrific camp.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kichwa Tembo vs Olonana vs Ngenche vs Smth else? Please!!!

thank you very much for your answer, now they have rebuilt room, more bright and comfortable (I am not sure have they two years ago or not yet) But I obviously was spoilt after my trip to South Africa, for the same money we had not only toilet and shower but also huge luxury villa with our own pool and river just in front of our windows with 20-30 elephants drinking water every morning. So now it is difficult to choose between Mara Tents

:-)

Thanks again and maybe someone else who have some thoughts about another camps I mentioned will answer?

Edited: 10 April 2016, 22:52
nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kichwa Tembo vs Olonana vs Ngenche vs Smth else? Please!!!

Ngenche is fenced with razor wire atop and located on the Mara North area outside the reserve. Olonana is lovely but also wired and price might be a bit stiff. Kichwa Tembo recently remolded that looks lovely (though I haven't stayed) seems lovely and has the most attractive price. Though the latter two are immediately adjacent to the the reserve, they are both well positioned immediately outside the Reserve on the side of the Triangle that is oft in demand.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kichwa Tembo vs Olonana vs Ngenche vs Smth else? Please!!!

Thank you for your helpful reply!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Uganda
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kichwa Tembo vs Olonana vs Ngenche vs Smth else? Please!!!

Having stayed at Ivory Lodge also, I think your best bet of the three you mention will probably be Olonana, but bear in mind that the luxe and styling of the actual lodge is probably a bit more low key than Ivory (in terms of plunge pools, i-pod docks, massive glass box private sitting room etc). This said I think Olonana has more of a classic safari feel to it, very authentically wildernessy. The Mara is also, I think, a little more beautiful than the Sabi Sands, though they both have their virtues. Out of interest have you also looked at Ol Seki?

Alexandra- Extraordinary Africa

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kichwa Tembo vs Olonana vs Ngenche vs Smth else? Please!!!

Ngenche isn't in Mara North Sandi, Ngenche is at the confluence of the Mara and Talek, in a really superb position, right inside the national reserve.

For a short, first-time visit to the Mara region, at a time when the wildebeest migration might well be pretty full-on, I wouldn't be staying out in the little Kichwa Tembo concession, or at Olonana myself, so I think Ngenche is a better bet. But it's a not a super fancy place.

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kichwa Tembo vs Olonana vs Ngenche vs Smth else? Please!!!

Thank you very much for all your kind replies.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kichwa Tembo vs Olonana vs Ngenche vs Smth else? Please!!!

Thank you so much i would go for Kichwa Tembo has more fun.

Enjoy more

Ancient Wild

9. Re: Kichwa Tembo vs Olonana vs Ngenche vs Smth else? Please!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2017, 14:17