We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for budget trip to Masai Mara & Amboseli

Kuala Lumpur...
6 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary for budget trip to Masai Mara & Amboseli

Hi all members, this is my first post in Trip Advisor. Me and wife are planning to go for a trip to Kenya during late August this year. We have never been to that part of the world and your helps and suggestions are highly required to plan this trip. We are originally from India, but are now staying in Malaysia for our jobs.

I was studying the discussions here and planned a possible itinerary as follows:

Day 1: Nairobi->Amboseli-> afternoon game drive.

Day 2: Amboseli (2 game drives)-> [is it possible to send us to Nairobi in the evening and overnight stay at hotel in Nairobi?]

Day 3: Nairobi-> Masai Mara-> afternoon game drive.

Day 4 & 5: Full day game drives in Masai Mara (3 drives per day including the early morning).

Day 6: Morning drive-> after breakfast return to Nairobi.

I talked to few travel agencies. But they arrange only one drive on day 2 and for the stay in Mara, they arrange only one early morning safari. According to my experience of Indian jungles, there is better chance of spotting leopard during early morning. They said, for budget safari accommodations outside the park, it is not possible. We were quoted around 2000 USD..basic tented accommodations outside the parks. Comments and suggestions about the itinerary are welcome.

Is it impossible to start from Amboseli for Nairobi after 7pm?

Thanks,

Avik

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for budget trip to Masai Mara & Amboseli

Although Amboseli offers great views of Kilimanjaro & opportunity to see elephants, perhaps you might want to skip Amboseli & stay the duration of the safari at the Mara ?

Amboseli is a long 4-5 hour drive to/from NBO.

You will most certainly see the Big 5 in the Mara.

Good Luck

Edited: 08 April 2016, 00:08
Antalya, Turkey
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for budget trip to Masai Mara & Amboseli

Jambo,

What you can do on day 2, have 1 game drive and after lunch you depart to Nairobi (spend night there).

Good luck

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for budget trip to Masai Mara & Amboseli

You can leave Amboseli 2pm and arrive in the Nairobi evening hours spend Overnight then next day proceed to Maasai Mara. Yes is possible

Kuala Lumpur...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for budget trip to Masai Mara & Amboseli

Thwnk you for your replies guys. I really want to do Amboseli for the Kilimanjaro. So we can come back to Nairobi on 2nd day after lunch.

Next thing is about the early morning drive in Mara..? Why do they offer only a single early morning drive whereas we stay 3 mornings there. BCTS keeps people very near to the Sekenani gare as I read, others choose budget camps few kms from the gates. Is there any other advantages to select BCTS over others?

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
412 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for budget trip to Masai Mara & Amboseli

Have you looked at Gamewatchers Safaris ( Porini )? Under their special offers, staying at the adventure camps, their prices are from $1999 for a seven night fly in safari, that goes to Amboseli and the Mara. I plan to do this next year. It also includes an overnight at the Nairobi Tented Camp, inside Nairobi National Park.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for budget trip to Masai Mara & Amboseli

While this is very important questions to ask, This itinerary sound great, start with Amboseli from Nairobi and finish the tour with Masai Mara that is the highlights of best game viewing, therefore you choose to have 2 game drives in Amboseli on day 2 yes one early morning at 0630hrs when the park open to around 0830hrs then again to the camp for the breakfast, again late afternoon at 1620hrs drive for the second game drive till late 1830hrs, same as Masai Mara game reserve. The best thing you have done is to choose to stay one night Nairobi after Amboseli at least to cut down the long drive from one park to the other.

This all depends on the company you contact since there are so many local tour operators with daily departures and can arrange this possible on group tour or Private trip. Thank you so much for choosing the best you will have more fun, Kind.

Ancient Wild.

Kuala Lumpur...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for budget trip to Masai Mara & Amboseli

Thanks guys for your positive comments. I am still trying to finalise the tour operator. I ll definitely look into Porini, but I thought it would be beyond our budget.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for budget trip to Masai Mara & Amboseli

Yes for sure Porini is nice though not budget kind of accommodation, try to see if your agent will get convenient deal that would be close to your budget and one that would make you feel comfortable when staying at Porini all the best and keep asking.

Ancient Wild.

9. Re: Itinerary for budget trip to Masai Mara & Amboseli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2017, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...