We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masai mara

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Masai mara

Hello,

What is the best time to visit Masai mara this year, specially to see the migration?

Any recommendations on how and where to book a great guide who would really show a different/not much explored sights as well?

Thank you

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Masai mara

Mid July through to the end of August should be a great time to catch the migration in the Masai Mara game reserve.

Spain
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Masai mara

We did our mara safari last year and we were advice August to September is the best time to stand a chance to see the migration. But we manage to see a lot including the Big Five.

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Masai mara

Thank you

What other national parks did u see/recommend? And any recommendations on places to stay too?

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Masai mara

I particularly also want to see the crossing of river.. Is there a particular time for that? What other national parks would u recommend?

Also, any recommendations on places to stay?

Thank you

Spain
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Masai mara

We did Masai mara, Nakuru,Samburu, Olepejeta Amboseli and Tsavo west. I will highly recommend Olepejeta and Samburu good for game view.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Masai mara

How many days/nights are you planning the Safari ?

Do you have any preferences in Mara accommodation ? Ie tented or Lodge type ? Do want to rough it out in the wild ie Mobile Safari ?

Edited: 06 April 2016, 04:44
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Masai mara

I'm open to all right now since I'm at my initial stage of planning

Is it recommended to do Serengeti and Masai mara both? Then maybe 8-10 days between the two?

Antalya, Turkey
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Masai mara

Jambo,

Best time to visit is between Aug and and end of Sept. You can combine Both serengeti and Maasai mara. In Tanzania you can also add Ngoro ngoro in your list. Make sure you get lodge/camp central serengeti . and at maasai mara near migration spots.

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Masai mara

Thank you! That's helpful

Any hotel recommendations?

Any tour guide recommendations?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Masai mara

In Nairobi you can look at Sarova Panafric hotel, Naivasha Sopa Lodge, Lake Nakuru lodge or Nakuru Sopa, Masai Mara you can look at the Keekorok Lodge which is well placed for the wildebeest migration. Tanzania you can look at the Tanganyika Wilderness camps chain of hotels which are not very expensive. Regarding the guide this will be provided by the tour operator you choose to arrange your safari.

Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...