We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Nairobi to Equator

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
Day trip from Nairobi to Equator

I will have a free day in Nairobi this March. I would really like to go up to the equator, as I have never set foot on the equator (I'm easily entertained!)

Do any tour companies run such a tour in one day from Nairobi?

Is there anything else along the way that would be interesting to stop and see?

London
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Nairobi to Equator

Sure they do but why don't you do something like you go to the equator and then spend the night at the mount kenya...something like Serena Mountain Lodge or even Treetops Lodge.....for companies,have always recomended diwaka safaris..www.diwakasafaris.com or write directly to joseph@diwakasafaris.com...be reassured of getting a free guide for free apart from the normal tour driver/guide..that means two guides.

London
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Nairobi to Equator

Or another option,if you have to back to Nairobi,then you can depart Nairobi very early in the morning at 8 am...by 12 you be at the equoator,have lunch then do a game drive at the Sweetwaters Reserve then come back to Nairobi in the evening.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Nairobi to Equator

jambo!

sure you can get a taxi or a tour car and negotiate an agreeable rate for the day (price of fuel is still high and we're having shortages so ..).

...its not far to nanyuki which is where you will be heading to see 'equator' - 200 kms - will take you roughly 2 hours..the road is not bad..

you can have lunch at 'sportsman arms hotel' in town or more posh is the mt. kenya safari club.

lots of curios around 'equator' but nothing major en-route unless you go and stay at a lodge/camp overnight.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,615 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Nairobi to Equator

Are you only going to be in Nairobi? Or on safari in Kenya? If the latter, where will you be visiting? You may already be passing or stopping at or near the Equator.

Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Nairobi to Equator

Thank you for all your informative responses.

Yes I'm starting a 6 week overland tour from Nairobi south to Cape Town. So I will not pass the equator on that tour, but will see lots of safari parks, hence I'm not that interested in doing a safari before I join the tour.

I really would like to go to the equator and return to Nairobi that day.

I think I will take your advice and book a guide/driver and do it in one day.

Thanks

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Nairobi to Equator

As far as I know the highest main road crossing of the Equator in the world is at Timberoa. This is on the road North from Nakuru to Eldoret. It is over 9000ft (9134? or is that the highest point on the road?)

There are some nice signs for photography at Maseno (on the road from Kisumu to Busia). However, it is not a day trip from Nairobi, unless you decide to fly to Kisumu in the morning and back in the evening!

On the Kakamega - Kisumu road, the signs have disappeared many times and you have to know where the crossing is. There is an enterprising school which has put up a sign fairly recently. The old sign was wonderful, but it went long ago. I do have a photo of it somewhere, because it gave the altitude as 1434 feet - under the water of Lake Victoria!

Have a look at a map and take your pick - some have better signs than others! (There is one road north of Nakuru where you cross it twice with very interesting signs and no curio shops.)

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Nairobi to Equator

There are so many places where roads cross the Equator in Kenya. We once stopped at an Equator sign on the way from Thomson Falls to Lake Nakuru once (can`t remember if the place had any name), but it was really beautiful there with hilly countryside in the middle of nowhere and kenyan children walking by, stopping to talk to you. We also got a certificate that we had crossed the Equator there, a little touristy, I know, but we still wanted that certificate as a souvenir.

Here are a few pics of the place where we crossed the Equator between Thomson Falls and Lake Nakuru:

Landscape Equator sign

flickr.com/photos/…

Equator sign

flickr.com/photos/…

Equator certificate

flickr.com/photos/…

To hire a taxi for a day would probably be your best choice. Jim Cab is a reputable taxi company in Nairobi, which many people here on Tripadvisor recommend. If you google the name, you`ll find their website on the Internet.

Good luck!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Nairobi to Equator

Thanks Annika & Peter. That looks a good idea. None of the crossings in Western Kenya have Certificates as far as I know. Can you read the name of the place on the certificate? I have driven that road once many years ago and should really like to know where it is for our visitors here!

Donie - I am one of the people who uses Jimcab. They have a fleet of cars and drive for the UN. I was introduced to them by a friend who worked with the UN. You can hire a car for the day and pay extra per kilometre over 100km, but you may be able to negotiate a better price. (I posted their details somewhere). Your driver should be able to point out places of interest on the way. If you pass the prehistoric site whose name escapes me, that might be of interest to you. When going to (or from ) Nakuru, see if you can get a view of Ol Karia geothermal power station, even in the distance. The steam jets can be seen from a long way away. It is the only one in Africa, I think.

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Nairobi to Equator

Asifiwe

We have checked our certificate, but the stamp is rather blurry, so cannot read the name, unfortunetly, but we remember that this Equator sign where we also got the certificate, was just south of Thomsons Falls/Nyahururu on the main road on the way to Lake Nakuru. It was quite hilly there and it also says Alt. 2130 on the equator sign. Hope this helps.

10. Re: Day trip from Nairobi to Equator

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2009, 06:18