We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! JKIA immigration didn't stamp my passport on entry

White River, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Help! JKIA immigration didn't stamp my passport on entry

I entered Kenya through JKIA on the 22nd April in the very wee hours of the morning. Went through the photo / fingerprints / passport scanning etc, THINK I remember the official stamped something (I'd been travelling for 24 hours via via about half of Africa) and didn't check, just trudged through, got my luggage and left.

I've just checked my passport as I'm about to leave - NO STAMP!

Yes, I know I should have checked and didn't. But this is how it is.

Now what? The passport was scanned so I'm surely on the system as being here, and need to leave within a few days as the visa is only for 30 days. SA Passport, don't need a visa in the passport, it's an automatic right of 30 day stay.

Easy to say drive out without an exit stamp but as I say, I'm sure I must be on the electronic system and I want to return to Kenya so can't afford to show up as illegal.

Any advice or can anyone suggest who I should see about this?

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
9 replies to this topic
Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! JKIA immigration didn't stamp my passport on entry

I would just go through security as normal. As you say, it will all be electronically recorded.

If you came into the country via the airport and passed security with your passport scanned, you have nothing to worry about.

White River, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! JKIA immigration didn't stamp my passport on entry

Thanks, heading to Tanzania on Saturday to test this out.

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
511 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! JKIA immigration didn't stamp my passport on entry

I have had that happen to me before and had no problem leaving the country as it is electronically documented.

I have also had the issue with the immigration officer taking our money (Total $300) and not giving us a receipt!

Robbie

White River, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! JKIA immigration didn't stamp my passport on entry

Thanks Robbir, feeling a bit better today

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! JKIA immigration didn't stamp my passport on entry

<<I have also had the issue with the immigration officer taking our money (Total $300) and not giving us a receipt!>> Why, when the visa cost $50. You must have been scammed. You won't get a receipt for that!

California
Level Contributor
511 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! JKIA immigration didn't stamp my passport on entry

The reason I said "Our money" and "Us" was because we had 6 people = $300. After more than 15 visits to Kenya have got used to all the scams :)

Robbie

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
White River, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! JKIA immigration didn't stamp my passport on entry

Update- went to Nyaya House yesterday, explained the story and showed my plane ticket, without further ado the official stamped a visitor pass into my passport with yesterday's date as entry, valid till 28th July. No fees, either official or unofficial. Not even the $50 90 day tourist visa fee. Huge relief and very grateful.

Save Reply
8. Re: Help! JKIA immigration didn't stamp my passport on entry

They should not be charging you money in any case as South Africans enter Kenya "visa free".

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
White River, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! JKIA immigration didn't stamp my passport on entry

30 days visa free. If you extend beyond that to the maximum of 90 days it's $50.

Reply to: Help! JKIA immigration didn't stamp my passport on entry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted