We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion for travel from Nyeri to Nairobi airport (NBO)?

Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestion for travel from Nyeri to Nairobi airport (NBO)?

My upcoming flight is at 11:00 AM, what would be the best way to reach the airport from Nyeri? Staying overnight in Nairobi or is it advisable to direct travel from Nyeri to the airport (considering the traffic jams in Nairobi)?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Nyeri
Nyeri
Central Province, Kenya
4 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion for travel from Nyeri to Nairobi airport (NBO)?

Definitely, you will have to leave the day before & spend overnight in NBO.

On my last trip from Timau, my group left Timau at 2.30PM & reached NBO at 8PM. There was heavy traffic as we approached NBO.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 10:18
Mentioned in this post
Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion for travel from Nyeri to Nairobi airport (NBO)?

Having lived in Nyeri, I would second the above, despite Timau being another hour + further away from Nairobi.

Traffic in Nairobi builds from around 6am and although you would use the Eastern bypass, this also gets very congested. You just cant second guess - one small accident and the whole road network in the area can gridlock. Additionally, it would realistically mean leaving Nyeri before sunrise. Having travelled the route in the dark (being driven), I would hesitate to repeat the experience!

The Nyeri - Makuyu section gets extremely congested during the late afternoon, not helped by slow moving trucks on the steep hills. This, in turn leads to drivers carrying out increasingly risky overtakes and undertakes. Advise you to leave around 2:00pm to avoid this.

Mentioned in this post
Nyeri
Nyeri
Central Province, Kenya
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion for travel from Nyeri to Nairobi airport (NBO)?

Thank you @Stefanilarda & @Kileleshiwa. I will plan to spend overnight in Nairobi.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 07:53
Mentioned in this post
Kenya
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion for travel from Nyeri to Nairobi airport (NBO)?

right info from the above guys please organise to spend a night in nairobi to be on the safe side

Reply to: Suggestion for travel from Nyeri to Nairobi airport (NBO)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted