We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using us dollars outside Yangon

New York City
Level Contributor
75 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Using us dollars outside Yangon

I have read that USD are readily accepted in Yangon. I will also be in Nyaungshwe (Inle) and Bagan. Will I be able to pay for meals, horse carts, and small souvenirs, etc. with one and five us dollar bills or must I pay with kyat?

Thank you for any help.

Marc

Yangon
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Using us dollars outside Yangon

Hi Dear,

You can use USD or Kyat but it is more convenient to use in Kyat for you because exchange rate is different from in streets and at bank.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using us dollars outside Yangon

We found that you could pretty much use dollars anywhere with the exception of some local restaurants but if you asked they would probably have accepted them. The downside is you need pristine dollars and I mean pristine – no creases and fresh off the press - so it is easier to get some battered old Kyats and then you don't need to be careful. Don't expect that ok dollars will be accepted - they won't. We used pretty much kyat but some small bills would have been useful.

For entry to Inle Lake they requested USD and gave you a really bad rate if you wanted to pay in Kyat

Regards

Suzi

denmark
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using us dollars outside Yangon

Pay in kyat which is the local payment - but of course you can pay in dollars everywhere - even in the most remote village and even for entry to Inle Lake you can paid in kyat even they requested USD.

KIrsten

N S
Nyaung Shwe, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Nyaung Shwe
Level Contributor
616 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using us dollars outside Yangon

Everything will be better to pay by kyats except entrance fees.Because they(the government) will charge a dollar or 1000 kyats for every collect charges.Few years back,it's will be cheaper.Now 867 kyats per dollar.Around 1300 kyats/dollar In 2009.So it's differance.Anyway,have a nice trip!

5. Re: Using us dollars outside Yangon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2013, 19:16