We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Myanmar

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
586 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit Myanmar

Can anyone tell me all the best months to visit Myanmar? We planned to visit Myanmar in November. It sounds like we should consider waiting until after the elections. We are flexible so it is not problem to select another month. Your experience and suggestions on the best times to visit would really be appreciated!

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
796 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Myanmar

November - February are certainly the coolest months of the year, visiting within those months makes it a lot more bearable when sightseeing. It's also high season, so expect a lot more tourists at pretty much all the sights you visit.

March - May can get extremely hot! This year there hasn't been any rains as yet apart from a couple up country, the temperature has been in the 40s for at least a couple of weeks now. You should get a few monsoon rains towards the end of May.

June - October is the rainy season, monsoon weather will be in full swing everyday. Tourists numbers during this month will be minimal & prices will be at their lowest, so if you want the sights to yourself & to save a few dollars, these are the months you'll want to visit in.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Myanmar

Was in Myanmar for most of this February. Didn't rain at all. It was hot , as you'd expect , but not unbearable. The climate in the hills north east of Mandalay, and in Kalaw was really pleasant.

Only thing we didn't like was the smog caused by farmers burning the fields and bushes. The distant views, almost everywhere we went were totally wiped out by a grey/blue curtain.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
586 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Myanmar

Thanks for the advice! Lancasterlad, we had that concern when visiting Luang Prabang. Slash and burn farming caused a haze over the views. Is that problem in Myanmar particularly bad during certain months or is it ongoing? Thanks!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Myanmar

I expect the problem is just during the dryer parts of the year, but I'm sure a local expert will give you a precise answer. We visited LP a couple of years ago, and the 'burning season' had just finished.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
377 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Myanmar

I know when I ask the question "when is the best time to go?" I really mean to ask "When is the best time to see that country at its best and with the least amount of tourists?"

I was in Cambodia at the end of high season and made some friends there - who told me to come to come back in June/July as it is all beautifully green, hardly any tourists and lower prices - that it rains for an hour or so in the afternoon and then done.

So with that in mind- When is a good time to visit?

Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Myanmar

The best time you should come to Myanmar is October which the traditional lightning festival period. Every where you go you would see all lights around the city. We even have a food fair on this month. along the street at China town (Down town area) every where is food. its really fun to eat the whole night and hang around.

And You can also come on April Water Festival . You can experience the traditional water festival. All the celebrities are out there entertaining the audiance and all the people are happy and excited about the festival. So you would feel the same too. You will feel home. There is no stranger. Every body will greet you a happy newyear. The only concernt about this season is very hot. If you dont mind the hot and thats the good tim for you to come.

On November and December, we have no special event . But the good thing to come this month is good weather. It is the very nice and comfortable weather. Not so cold and not hot.

So I hope you can choose which period you want to come.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
796 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit Myanmar

Come Come Orchid, November & December have many festivals;-)

November has the biggest festival of lights gathering in the country, The Taunggyi Balloon Festival (Tazaungdaing). Running this year from Nov 15-21 it's without doubt the most liveliest festival on the Myanmar calender. In Taunggyi itself it's a huge party atmosphere around this time, people from all over the country will take the trip to make this festival, it's certainly worth the effort to make it there.

From the end of November till the start of January is the Kyaiktiyo festival, thousands of pilgrims making the pilgrimage to the Golden Rock, definitely worth the trip.

Thanks for the telling people about the Chinatown food festival Orchid, eating BBQ all night down on 19th Street, sounds good to me!

8. Re: Best time to visit Myanmar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 16:37