We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a better way to break up this itinerary?

Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a better way to break up this itinerary?

I'm currently in Loikaw, will be doing some trekking tomorrow and then hoping the leave the day after. My plan was to go to Yangon, however the only bus available is a 3pm overnight that goes for about 12 or 13 hours.

I'm really not keen on that option so is there somewhere in between I could go to ease the travel time a bit? I don't mind the 7-8 hour rides during the day but the above mentioned I don't really want to do.

Mentioned in this post
Loikaw
Loikaw
Kayah State, Myanmar
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
2 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,570 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a better way to break up this itinerary?

Not sure of your bus route but it is goes to Taungoo that should be about halfway. Actually Taungoo is only about 5 hours from Yangon. Or you maybe able to get a bus to Thazi. You could take the train to Thazi but I think it will be an early start and a long day.

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Vietnam
Level Contributor
845 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a better way to break up this itinerary?

I did a similar route earlier this year:

1. Loikwa to Tungoo by bus. Very beautiful scenery, but it is far from a direct route, traveling well to the north, then west and finally south. Seem to recall it taking eight hours.

2. Train from Tungoo to Yangon, but I got off in Bago to further break up the trip and check out Bago for a couple of days.

Safe travels :)

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Bago
Bago
Bago Region, Myanmar
Reply to: Is there a better way to break up this itinerary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted