We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently

Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently

I'm in Mandalay right now.There was some fraudulent activity on my bank account. My Bank back home in Australia has locked my account and card. And I only have K40,000 on me right now.

I have a Citibank debit card with money on it but I've tried that at a few ATMs with no luck. I asked my hotel if I can use their phone to contact my Bank and they said becuase they are on MPT.

I'm really not sure what to do from here and am starting to stress out. Any advice is appreciated.

10 replies to this topic
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,265 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently

take ur citibank card and go inside the bank an ask for a cash advance..

Dont understand what u mean abut calling ur bank, i use MPT an have called the states and since ur posting here, i guess u have internet access, so use skype

Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently

I'm on wifi at the hotel and it's very slow for video/streaming so Skype isn't really an option now.

I need to call my Bank becuase they've placed a temporary hold on my usual ATM card. And have asked me to contact them to confirm.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
241 reviews
3. Re: Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently

If you can call to the bank and solve the problem, you can use IDD call from the hotel, isn't it?

Then the call charges you can pay when you check out.

Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently

i managed to get my Citibank card working at an AYA ATM , so I've got enough cash for the next week.. phew. Crisis averted.

I managed to get in contact with my bank (which isn't Citibank) .. who said I had to call MasterCard to get an emergency replacement card . So that's the next step.

I have a working card though and I've transferred enough cash onto it to keep me going. So am in a much better position then I was a few hours ago............... I need a beer haha

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
241 reviews
5. Re: Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently

Ha ha Glad to know that you are in heaven now.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,825 posts
156 reviews
6. Re: Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently

That's why it's a good idea to always have a cash reserve of at least $200. I would take some money money out before going to Loikaw. If you are going trekking with a guide there is could be expensive.

Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently

I put Loikaw on the back burner for now. I've transferred my funds to the Citibank account so waiting for that to come through before I move on from Mandalay. Will just have to hang around for a few days.

Also trying to contact MasterCard as I believe they can issue emergency replacement cards. I changed hotels and the owner was incredibly friendly and is letting me use his phone to call them.

australia
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently

You can always use western union to get money from friends and family and its quick

Not your situation I guess but always Check your cards expiry dates,know those that been caught

Edited: 12 May 2018, 10:04
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,825 posts
156 reviews
9. Re: Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently

He has money now. I would only Western Union in an emergency, fees are high.

australia
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently

Not really ray in my exp. and depends where its going to and how much , ,anyway if you have no dosh then a high fee would not really come into it the consoderations

Reply to: Stuck without ATM card or cash, need help/advice urgently
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted