We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating at the Port Vila market

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Eating at the Port Vila market

My partner and I will be traveling to Vanuatu in April and of course, I am trying to find out everything possible beforehand. :)

I was wondering if it is safe to eat food bought at the market? I read this blog post (…blogspot.com/2009/11/vanuatu-port-vila-mark…) and she had eaten there several times and really enjoyed the foods. I would love to go there for some food, but what do you guys think?

and is that LapLap nice to eat? I sooo want to try it, but with some chicken in it, makes me so nervous..

Yes, i am a rather anxious person. LOL.

smiles,

laura

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Eating at the Port Vila market

Hilarious Anni,

Since when isn't muddy water "that bad"?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Eating at the Port Vila market

well...compared to Dettol & compost juice, muddy water is just great!!..lol!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Eating at the Port Vila market

Yes, right. Just contemplating the three.....hmmmm........OK.....I choose muddy water. Compost juice...........yaaaaaaaaak.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Eating at the Port Vila market

John, having witnessed the way kava is made in villages in Tanna is one of the reason I will not go anywhere near it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Eating at the Port Vila market

Same here, I freak out enough about the lack of hygeine with the shells.

Though maybe they do clean them & that why the dettol taste! lol!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Eating at the Port Vila market

I travel to Vanuatu about twice a year. I have always eaten what the cooks in the markets make & have never had a problem. I have eaten bat & drank the chewed kava on Tanna with no issues (not chewed by young virgins btw) Its difficult to get your head around drinking something that others have chewed at first but it certainly does taste much diff to other vanuatu kavas. I prefer the standard port vila kava myself.

As far as getting upset tummies...I would be far far more careful of a resort buffet with all the tourists kids handling the food unsupervised.

I really like the food that is sold up the back of the Au Bon Marche supermarket also. Best stew ever & very nice Quiche’s.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
212 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Eating at the Port Vila market

our family (mum dad and 2 children 10 +12 yrs old) ate at the markets each day for 4 days in October 2011, no problems at all, BUT we stuck with highly heat food - omlettes & curries / stews. Sorry to say, that the fish in the heat just didn't appeal and us whities do tend to have more delicate tums, that the ni Vans. Highly recommended, and made our holiday much more affordable - went to restaurants as well, but would happily eat soley at the market - however, I'm easy to please (apparently). Fruit & vege are awesome - get yourself some young coconut and enjoy the health benefits of the water (maybe that is why we survived so well with the local food over 2 weeks - we drank plenty of coconut water - refreshing, full of goodness and tastes just great). Just bought one in NZ the other day - but alas, it's just not as good!! :(

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Eating at the Port Vila market

Yes the taste of organically grown fresh fruit and veg is something I'd like to become accustomed to.

At the Nambanga Restaurant on one occasion we were enjoying a dessert of spectacularly sweet fresh fruit salad when a local lady commented that it was not a particularly impressive dish. I told her she had been living in Vila for too long. She had obviously become used to really sweet fresh fruit. For us it was a novelty.

J

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
139 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Eating at the Port Vila market

Right now is pineapple and mango season - YUM. The pineapples are the best I have ever tasted. Sadly though raspberry season seems well and truly over

50. Re: Eating at the Port Vila market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:40
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila