We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday with 2 year old...which resort is best?

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
geelong
Level Contributor
101 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday with 2 year old...which resort is best?

HI, we are looking forward to our first family holiday at the end of March early April. Have been tossing up between Fiji and Vanuatu. What we are after is a nice, clean 2 bedroom place that has some sort of water view, or pool view...it would be ideal if it had direct access to the beach or pool when our toddler sleeps in the afternoon so we could have a swim. After having a brief look - Le Lagon, Iririki Island or Maybe Erakor Island, seem to be the favourites. My daughter has certain food allergies and I am a bit concerned about her eating at resorts...do you think the chefs have a good understanding of these issues? Or are there resorts which have facilities for you to cook your own meals. Thanks

1. Re: Holiday with 2 year old...which resort is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 January 2011, 09:05
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday with 2 year old...which resort is best?

Hello sunnydays,

You could consider one of the small self contained apartments at Pacific Lagoon Apartments or Poppy's on the Lagoon. There are a few others. Poppy's is more of a resort style accommodation than PLA, however they (PLA) are right on the ocean end of the lagoon.

In town you have The Melanesian which has 2brm apts with kitchenettes.

That way you could prepare your 2 yr old's meals and dine out at restaurants on occasion.

Remember that you can visit resorts as a day visitor.

Hope this helps,

Jen

3. Re: Holiday with 2 year old...which resort is best?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday with 2 year old...which resort is best?

Pacific Lagoon Apartments as Jen mentioned, are a good budget choice right on the 1st lagoon with a good pool, and with a beautiful beach, just near Le Lagon and across from Erakor Island. Erakor doesn't have a pool.

PLA are 2 bedroom with a kitchen. No restaurant on site. We stayed there just over a week ago and is a few minutes walk along the beach at low tide to the Erakor Ferry boat and Le Lagon. They can provide babysitting if needed.

Aqua restaurant at Erakor has great food and they have a family special meal deal between 5-6pm for 2500v each adult and includes your 2year olds food.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 20:17
5. Re: Holiday with 2 year old...which resort is best?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday with 2 year old...which resort is best?

Assuming you only have a 2yo daughter, then any kids eat free deal is not going to be much of an attraction for you as there is not much value in it.

Another option you could look at is the Kaviti motel. It is not on the water but they do have a pool and their self-contained apartments are pretty good. It is close to the centre of town and is a good price. And almost all rooms back onto the pool, so you could enjoy a swim while your daughter was napping.

Lagoon Beach Resort would be another option. It has a pool and sandy area on the lagoon which your daughter could play in. They also have an outdoor kids playground.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday with 2 year old...which resort is best?

Agree completely Hindo, Lagoon Beach Apartments would be a great choice.

And Sunny's 2 yr old has a food allergy, so I would be cooking her food myself, I wouldn't trust eating restaurant food as you may not get a definitive answer from the locals working in the restaurant.

My children at that age had egg and cows milk allergies, so I was very careful. That aside 2 year olds don't each much at all.

And also I would never assume that someone was using a travel agent, as I never do, I find it's cheaper and easier to do it myself, especially being a traveller who decides one day to go and could be one the plane in the next couple of days:)

8. Re: Holiday with 2 year old...which resort is best?

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 18:35
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday with 2 year old...which resort is best?

Billy, I am sure others are more than welcome to use a travel agent, but as LTB suggests, there is absolutely no need to these days. There is no cost advantage in most cases and to be honest a lot of people here on TA are much more knowledgable than a lot of travel agents. It still amazes me that people use them at all.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday with 2 year old...which resort is best?

Sunny I have answered your question on the Fiji forum as well.

And I certainly would never "put down" any destination nor tour operator as described by the earlier poster.

But I never make assumptions on how people book a holiday, as Hindo mentioned, many people, like me, book directly because we can get better prices.

If you are not a regular overseas traveller you may feel more comfortable getting a couple of quotes from Travel Agents, and then going directly to the resorts via email and negotiate a price. As well as looking at airfare deals.

happy planning and sure you will have a fantastic holiday.

Get answers to your questions about Port Vila