We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's a hoot!

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
14 reviews
It's a hoot!

The Saloon bar in Port Vila (make their own boutique beer!), Vanuatu is holding a Dinner/Dance the 28th of August in order to raise funds for Sam’s Animal welfare.

The funds raised from this event are used to treat and desex dogs and cats of ni-vanuatu people who would otherwise not be able to afford it, as well as educate school children in the humane treatment of animals.

So if you are in Port Vila at the time, go have a great time and help us raise funds to help this worthy cause.

If you have any questions or need further information please feel free to contact the Port Vila vet:

Karin O’Connor

vet@vanuatu.com.vu

Phone 25702

Images of Sam’s Animal welfare activities can be seen at: …google.com/VanuatuTravel/…

Cheers,

John

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: It's a hoot!

Yes it is a very worthy cause. Educating children in the humane treatment of their pets, especially dogs and cats is vital in that country. As a dog lover it is far and away my most serious gripe with the population.

Hopefully, they'll set up in Santo and other islands as well if they have not already.

And yes I do eat meat but I don't earn its loyalty, love and respect beforehand.

J

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: It's a hoot!

We can all help, it's really easy:

SAM’s have placed donation boxes in a number of Port Vila retail outlets, coffee shops & restaurants which is one way to raise cash. However, one surprisingly successful initiative has been the SAM’s Book Exchange facility at Jill’s Café, this has turned out to be very popular (so much so that SAM’s needs more books!).

So when you to go to Vanuatu, bring books with you and donate them to Jill’s Café (they work closely with SAM’s). We all have books at home that are clutering the place, well throw them in your cabin luggage and give them a second life.

If you are in need of a book to read then please utilize the exchange facility (honesty basis) at the cafe or contact: Caroline on 534 3679, or the Vet Clinic on 25702 or email if you require further details on bringing books or veterinary supplies please contact the above or I am happy to assist if that's easier for you (use the TA message facility).

Cheers,

John

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
3. Re: It's a hoot!

oooo - we will look out for the donation boxes while we are there next week! Always happy to donate wherever animals are concerned :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: It's a hoot!

As we're only going for a week next trip we shouldnt need much, I'm already planning to use up any spare luggage allowance with books for Jills.

This is SUCH a worthwhile cause!

I had a really nice chat with a lady in the main street one day who had found a half drowned, starving puppy that had been dumped in the harbour & she'd saved it. It was the most lovely dog, & she was a lovely person, who fortunately could afford to look after him.

Thanks for posting this John.

5. Re: It's a hoot!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 18:10
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila
Recent Conversations