We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Holes in Santo

Sydney
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Blue Holes in Santo

Can anyone tell me if there is a huge amount of difference between the Blue Holes that you can Kyak to yourself from Oyster Island and the one that the tour goes to, i think this one is the main one starting with "M" i think. We are in perfect position to go to the ones ourselves, but am wondering if you you miss out on anything by not going on the tour.

Also does the Millenium Cave tour go on a dugout canoe at some point of the tour?

Also can you explore Milioin Dollar point on your own or is this only done so by a tour.

Im just wanting to plan which places are best with a tour and which ones are best on your own? Trying to cut the costs down.

Thanks.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Holes in Santo

Hi,

If you want to go to the Riri Blue hole you have to go on the canoe with the local. You can only kayak to the one starting with M cant remember the name. you dont really miss out on anything if you go on a tour to the blue holes. Ask the resort for a tour guide named Longta, He really made our day and he seemed to be cheaper than the other tours. If you go on the tour to Champagne Beach he will also take you to Lonnoc and one of 2 of the blue holes. Hope this helps

Billy

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Holes in Santo

Yes, you can do million dollar point yourself. We had a bus drop us off and told him when to come back for us. You will have to pay an entrance fee which is a few dollars each.

Jody

Sydney
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Holes in Santo

Im confused, how many Blue Holes are there? Are either of the two that you can get to yourself from Oyster Island the one that the tour takes you to in the dug out canoe? Dont want to go to the same one twice thats all.

If not what are the names of the two you can kyak to, and what is the name of the one on the tour, I think I have read that this is on the Ri Ri River.

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Holes in Santo

Hi Countingdown,

There are a number of blue holes throughout Vanuatu but the two in question from Oyster Island are the Riri River blue hole and the Matevalu Blue hole.

It is possible to kayak to them both but the Riri River guides really expect you to go with them in the dugout.

They are both fairly close together and are slightly different in features.

What you miss out on by not going on the tour is that particular blue hole. Check with the guys at Oyster as to which is the better of the two at the time. Sometimes a bit of waterweed gets the better of the area.

Matevalu is stunning. See my avatar image.

Millenium Cave is about trekking and floating. It is fairly vigorous. You cannot do this alone.

You can go to Million Dollar point by yourself but you'll still need to pay to visit the beach. It varies but 500vatu pp is a good guess. Take your own supplies as there is nothing there.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Sydney
Level Contributor
112 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Holes in Santo

Hi

last year we went to 2 blue holes. One you could drive into and we went as part of a tour of the island. This was the one that people kayak to from Oyster island as there were a couple of young guys there who had done that. It also had a rope to swing from. The other one we went to separately on another trip and we were taken in a dugout canoe-we had the hole to ourselves and it was beautiful and isolated.

We are going back to Santo this October (booked the flights this morning!) and my daughter will want another blue hole trip-clean clear freshwater to swim in. As she says "like a swimming pool but without the chlorine"

Have a great time!!

C

Sydney
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Holes in Santo

Thanks everyone for your help.....

Sometimes the brain goes into overload when you start reading all the tourist articles, I was just getting way too confused.

I think I have it sorted now.....Will kyak to one blue hole from Oyster Island ourselves, then do the tour in the canoe to another one, that way we get the best of both worlds. I cant wait to get there, only a few weeks to go now.

Can anyone tell me about the tour that offers a trip to Champagne Beach and a Blue Hole together, which of the Blue Holes this goes to, I was thinking that we can just get a taxi/bus to Champagne & Lonnoc Beaches ourselves then spend as much time there as we want to, is this advisable?

Cheers.

Edited: 17 August 2010, 15:11
Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Holes in Santo

Hi,

If you ask for Longta he will take you to Champagne Beach and Lonnoc Beach as well as the blue hole near the 2 beaches. He will also take you to the Matevalu Blue hole. I would go on dugout to the Riri. Longta seemed to be the cheapest and he really made our day. He even took us to the small place where they dry out the coconuts. He tells you all about Vanuatu and the South Pacific and how all the neighbouring coustries are related. Hope this helps.

Billy

Mentioned in this post
Champagne Beach
Champagne Beach
463 Reviews
Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Holes in Santo

It's not a bad idea to just get a transfer as such to Champagne & Lonnoc. That way you can spend more time there. I would like more time than you get on a normal tour. Just make sure you've got your return trip sorted.

There are a number of drivers available in Santo. If you pop into the information centre at Luganville you can pick up a handful of business cards and see who gives you a good deal for what you want.

You can even do an overnighter at Lonnoc. Accommodation is very basic but it would be worth it to see sunrise over the water.

Further north is Port Olrey. They were building accommodation huts there last time I saw it. Again, quite basic but the beach is a stunner.

Jen

9. Re: Blue Holes in Santo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila