We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

Sydney
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

I have a two hour wait at Port Vila Airport before a connecting flight to Santo. I would like to know if there will be enough time, once i have been through customs and checked in for the next flight, to grab a tax/bus to a nearby suppermarket to grab a few things to take onto Santo, flight arrives in Luganville after shops are closed and is a hike back into town from where we are staying. So Vila is the best option, if there will be enough time. How long will a trip to the nearest suppermarket take from the airport and how much vatu will i need for the fare. Alos is there somewhere near the suppermarket to exchange money, the rate would no doubt be better than at the airport. Will just get enough there for the taxi/bus fare. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
837 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

So glad you asked these questions....I just rang Air Van to ask about the luggage and was told we can take 23kg and it SHOULD be checked through to Santo....hope so. I didn't "think" about changing from International to Domestic....also told as long as food is sealed there should be no problems.

Sydney
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

I actually asked the travel agent who booked for us, she told me when we check-in in Syd, ask them to check us in all the way to Santo, not just Vila.

That will issue us with boarding passes for the domestic flight also.

When we arrive in Vila, go through immigration, collect your luggage, go through customs. Walk up the corridor to the check-in area, there will be a DOMESTIC TRANSFER counter, check luggage in with them and they will transfer it to the domestic terminal, which is down the road apparently.

You then walk to the domestic terminal and check in with your pass you were given at Syd. Hopefully this will all run as she says. I suggest you do the same, or at least enquire at Syd end.

Did you mean food taken on board with you or checked in your luggage, Im concerned about taking a case of beer on board, not something you can do here in Aus, but my travel agent tells me they carry pigs and all sorts on the domestic planes. LOL.

I will be interested to see how this all goes for you tomorrow.

Good luck. Im jelous your off tomorrow, I still have 4 weeks to wait!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

Thanks lifetravellerbrissy

I've still got that Baywatch music in my head!!LOL

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
837 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

Thanks for all that info. Isn't it great to get so much support from the TA community?

I'm actually putting stuff in our luggage...some "Wraps", tuna in foil packets not tins, vegemite tube, cheese triangles which don't need refrigeration and some sweet biscuits. We'll probably take our own camping plunger and coffee too.

Actually I recall flying to Tanna years ago with all sorts of things on board then.....

I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

Hi to the Santo travellers,

The international airport there is small, like one in a regional town in Australia, and there's not a lot to buy there. Make sure you take your duty free grog with you. Perhaps PM one of the DE's and ask where to buy soft drink and beer near the airport, Jen or Suzi will know.

I'm not a beer drinker so have never bought it. I've just gone to the shops to buy our snacks to have with our drinks, as packing tonight leave early Friday morn for Fiji and our fav island there. Cheaper to buy snacks in Australia. UHT milk is fine to take in your checked in luggage.

Have a great trip both of you and a fantastic holiday.

Edited: 11 August 2010, 17:52
Port Vila
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

There is a Bon Marche at Manples, which is about 5 minutes from the airport. Although it is not as large as the Nambatu Au Bon Marche, it does stock alcohol and obviously soft drinks and a pretty good range of food items. It is about the same size as an IGA store You should be able to make it back quite easily, as long as you get through customs pretty quickly.

It is situated on the left hand side as you come in towards town.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
837 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

Phew!!! just "got rid" of the grandkids now I can concentrate on completing our packing.

Thanks for all the advice and the good wishes.

Sydney
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

Thanks for the advise everyone.....helps to have inside knowledge.

Have a great trip pactraveller1!

You two lifetraellerbrissy, in Fiji...

So im guessing its ok to take alcohol in the cabin that is not duty free, that I buy in Vila to take into Santo and vice versa when we return to Vila? And do they always open your cases if you have declared you have food items in your checked luggage?

And where would be the best place to buy supplies in Luganville?

Help is greatly appreciated.

19. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 17:21
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila
Recent Conversations