We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

Sydney
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

I have a two hour wait at Port Vila Airport before a connecting flight to Santo. I would like to know if there will be enough time, once i have been through customs and checked in for the next flight, to grab a tax/bus to a nearby suppermarket to grab a few things to take onto Santo, flight arrives in Luganville after shops are closed and is a hike back into town from where we are staying. So Vila is the best option, if there will be enough time. How long will a trip to the nearest suppermarket take from the airport and how much vatu will i need for the fare. Alos is there somewhere near the suppermarket to exchange money, the rate would no doubt be better than at the airport. Will just get enough there for the taxi/bus fare. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
879 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

We are actually in the same situation ...this Thursday. look forward to reading replies. Where are you staying?

Sydney
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
2. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

We are staying at Oyster Island Resort. How about you?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
879 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

Fancy that!! So are we but staying for 2 nights at Deco Lodge and arriving at OIR on Saturday. We are booked to stay there for 5 maybe 6 nights, then flying to Vila for a further 5 nights.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,936 posts
386 reviews
4. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

I'd say you'd be pushing it. I had an hour between arriving in Vanuatu and flying to Tanna, and it took 35 minutes to get through immigration and customs, and another 10 minutes to change money at the bank. I wasn't the last person in either queue either. Some people would have waited a lot longer.

Sydney
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
5. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

Well paciciftravel, if no one can answer my quiestion before I go, then im sure you can upon your return. Enjoy your holiday! Small world isnt it.

I would be interested in any tips you may have upon your return from Santo, never been there before, ive been to Vila, and will be will be there again after Santo this trip too. But very much looking forward to all that Santo has to offer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

Its quite do-able if you happen to get through immigration really fast. Dont know who you are flying with, but Air Vanuatu opens the rear doors as well as the front to get off. Its probably worth checking with the airline to see if this is the case, & request seats at the rear (or front) of the plane. I have done "wheels down" to Le Meridien Resort in 40 minutes once-though I did make my Mum sprint along the tarmac!!! lol!

There is a currency exchange at the arrivals terminal with OK rates(its not worth going all the way into town to get a few more cents for your dollar) , & there will be plenty of Taxis outside.

Here's where I may be getting confused with Nadi Fiji, but I "think" theres a supermarket on the left as you are heading into Port Vila-probably only a few minutes from the Airport. I'm just guessing here, but I think you could easily get a taxi to take you there & back to the Airport for around 1000vatu (about $12) but I really dont know for sure, so ask first & if they say a bit more its probably fair- the taxi drivers are generally quite honest.

It really all depends on how fast you can get though immigration-also, get enough cash to pay for your groceries as well, as I'm not sure the supermarket will take cards.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
879 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

When are you going to be in Santo and for how long?

Sydney
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
8. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

Thanks AnniG,

Your tips are very helpful. Will keep that in mind when selecting seats in Sydney, we are travelling with Air Van, so the two doors will be a big help.

Pacifictraveller1,

We will be in Santo 2nd week sep for 1 week then back to Vila for a week. Sounds similar to what you are doing. Im trying to find out costs for trips to Champagne Beach, Million Dollar Point, whether its better to go with an organised tour or grab a taxi and do it our selves. I will be interested to here what you have to say about it.

Edited: 11 August 2010, 08:21
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
69 reviews
9. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

There is a couple of smaller shops nearer to the airport, but no large supermarket as I recall, think AnnieG you may be thinking of the large supermarket on way to Nadi town, Fiji, not far from the airport. (you've been thinking too much about the bronzed Aussie surfers lol)

What I would do would be take packaged food with me, eg snacks, noodles, coffee etc (no fresh food) pack in your suitcase, don't bother about too many clothes you won't need them !!!

Declare the food on the arrivals card, and you should be fine. I've done that for Fiji and Vanuatu and no problems. In fact last time in Vanuatu I declared food and they didn't even open my suitcase.

Perhaps one of the DE's on here will answer, and give you more info. (AnnieG love your response on the Fiji forum re Mana))

Sydney
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
10. Re: Taxi to suppermarket from Vila Airport

Thanks Lifetraveller, I have some snacks already to pack, but I wasnt too sure about the declaring part, thinking that if I declare them then they will open suitcases (we will have 4 in total) and this will take more time, making that trip to the shops impossible. Is long life milk ok to take in your checked luggage?

I was more concerned with buying a case of Beer and case of soft drinks for the kids to have on hand at the resort in Santo....also does anyone know what the go is with taking these on board the connecting flight to Santo, we have luggage allowance that carries on from Syd for checked luggage, but not sure on the baggage allowance in the cabin on domestic flights.

Any tips would be appreciated, id hate to have throw out anything....

Get answers to your questions about Port Vila
Recent Conversations