We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking regulations

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
12 posts
Save Topic
Smoking regulations

hi,

I am travelling to vanuatu in October, just wondering if someone could let me know where you are allowed to smoke in port vila ie are you allowed to smoke in restaurants/hotel bars when sitting outside etc or Is it the same rules as in australia? I just like to be prepared!

Thanks

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking regulations

Husband and I are both smokers. Vanuatu hasnt caught up with the rest of the world in regards to smoking. You can sit at a bar or restaurant and smoke. If we are in a restaurant we tend to walk outside though so not to spoil other peoples meals with our smoke.

When we are on a day trip or just walking in town, we carry around a bottle with some water in it to put our butts into. There arent many bins around and we find this is the best way rather than carrying around the butts till we find a bin. I cant stand seeing butts on the street.

Jody

vanuatu
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking regulations

Hi

Don't worry about anything.

The beauty of Vanuatu is that it is still a free country.

Probably one of the last. which means you can do just about

anything you like. Anywhere you like. and if you don't like it means you

don't belong in Vanuatu.

Gotta love this place.

Cheers.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking regulations

For the simple reason you asked, your common sence and care will prevail. Smoking (gave up, but still crawling up the walls...) is not an issue here, you will not feel like a leper, although and you may find the price of them a little high. If you want a throat wrenching experience try one of the local fags the Nivan smoke: Home grown pure tobacco rolled in newspaper. Believe the print carbon gives you that extra high :-)

Port Vila
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking regulations

The information above is not totally correct anymore. it is now against the law to some in some public areas. I am not sure of all the new rules as i do not somke but places such as restaurants, offices and shops

best regards

Living in Vanuatu

Edited: 25 June 2010, 20:56
Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking regulations

I think what the Vanuatu expatriates are trying to convey in their responses in this column is that the anti-smoking campaign in Vanuatu is not at the same intensity as found overseas. Dare I say it has not reached the paranoia level found in places like in Australia. Here smokers just step outside the restaurant or bar, although there are many that will give the smoker a table outside or downwind.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
563 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking regulations

"Paranoia levels"?? As someone who lost 3 of 4 grandparents to smoking-related illnesses, I find regulations that relate to smoking totally justified!

Secondly, banning smoking in public places (particularly those in which others are trying to enjoy food) is basic common courtesy.

*steps off soapbox*

Sorry, just something I'm passionate about after losing family and also being a foodie..... :)

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking regulations

Sorry my fault jobanoonoos,you read it the wrong way.

As this is forum is essentially about the happy side of life: travel, and how we can improve it in all its parts, I prefer to err on the lighter side of dark issues, may been a little too abstract in my throw away comments....I was directing my cynicism towards the hypocrisy behind governments graphic and shock treatment anti smoking campaigns throughout the world, and not the partisan movement following its objectives or the issuing regulations.

No one with any grey matter would dissagree with you, deciding not to smoke is a no brainer decision to a non smoker, but quite different if you are one. For people to ask the question as to where they can smoke displays sensitivety towards others, I'm sure the inquirer is not about to blow smoke all over your poulet (that was humour,.... I've found the soapbox, you can't have it back)

I was a smoker for many years, and had our governments, regardless of countries, really wanted to ban smoking they would off made it illegal a long time ago (why not, they ban everything else?). Smoking, or should we admit, what the tobacco companies add to tobacco, is terribly addictive. It is far, far more addictive than Marijuana.

Yet Marijuana is illegal because they cannot tax it. Tobacco is, because they can.

Governments that spend many millions of $s to generate near hysterical sentiments against smokers (ironically, advertising paid by the very taxpayers who will re elect governments that are indirectly bankrolled by tobacco companies) to make themselves look good, as if they care about their constituency….when all they have to do is make tobacco illegal. Hmmmm, wonder why I am cynical?

For your info, my father died of cancer, he played tennis everyday, and had never smoked in his life. I attended for a month one of my lifelong friend’s slow death of indescribable agony to cancer, he was 40 yrs old. Before the illness hit him he was a windsurfer fanatic…never smoked in his life. I have had my share of cancer reality so need to convince me, but maybe because I now live in Vanuatu, I look at life differently,...with more freedom to self regulate and less government influence in order "to be free".

You are very much on your own to sink or swim in Vanuatu, to smoke or not smoke, you become (hopefully) a good citizen by choice and not by legislation.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking regulations

In a world that has gone seriously mad, Vanuatu is still one of the places you can be free.

In QLD you can no longer take your leftover Chinese dinner home in a "doggy bag", just in case you dont reheat it well enough & get food poisoning...truly a world gone mad!!!!

Just got back from Fiji, & the madness has started over there-sad!

We're creating generations of people who will have no concept of self responsibility-blame someone else & take legal action-far easier than actually taking reponsibility for your own actions!.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking regulations

GO ANNI! Wow, if I could reach through the computer monitor and give you a hug, I would! You have put into words exactly my thoughts.

Vanuatu was a breath of fresh air in that regard - if you climb the Cascades and aren't careful and fall down.. whose fault is it? Yours, no one else's. If you don't watch where you are driving and fall down a huge hole onto the beach... your fault! If you don't take care in the supermarket on the wet floor and slip over ... tough, be more careful next time! I know there are times and places for rules and regulations, but our society has gone nuts with them.

A bit off topic, but hats off to you Anni. I am glad I'm not the only one to feel this way.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
563 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking regulations

Agree with you all in terms the lack of governmnt regulation in Vanuatu. I don't think it's always a positive thing (just certainly is for smoking IMHO). It is indeed refreshing to enjoy a less litigious culture, where common sense, rather than statute, prevails. Nonetheless, where this behaviour impinges on other people's wellbeing and enjoyment (read smoking), I'm quite happy for governments to step in....

Anyhoo....thanks for clarifying, all - we're totally waaaay off topic now!

Moral of the story - treasure your time in Vanuatu (it's truly amazing) - I'm sure we can all agree on that! :)

Get answers to your questions about Port Vila
Recent Conversations