We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Vanuatu?

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WA
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving in Vanuatu?

Hi all,

I'm heading to Vanuatu in a few weeks and would like to hire a car, do I need an international drivers license or can I use my Australian license?

Cheers

Vince

Melbourne
Level Contributor
564 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Vanuatu?

I'm fairly confident you don't need an international licence - just an Australian one. The Jason's site (www.jasons.com/Vanuatu/transport-in-vanuatu) states:

Both international and national driving licences are accepted, as long as you have held your licence for at least a year.

Can anyone else please confirm?

:)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Vanuatu?

Yep Australian license is all you need.

WA
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Vanuatu?

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated

I have many other questions but I am very curious as to whether any one has snorkeled the northern tip of Nguna at Utanlang, sounds like my sort of place.

I have never visited Vanuatu before and I like to stay away from the beaten track and do my own thing, extreme freediving is high on my list of must do's.

Thanks again

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Vanuatu?

Hi 5 Fathom5,

Have been to Nguna island and be interested to find out more on Utanlangi point as I have never read anything about it?

Real pros on extreme freediving in Port Vila is Peter, owner /operator of NautilusDive, or you could talk to Owen Drew, owner of Coongoola & Tranquility Resort, or Peter Whitelaw owner /operator of Golden Wings sailing. They all have been here forever, are wonderfull people and have websites. If you cannot get hold of them via the net (they are probably on, or under water...) you can call them when here. I know you cannot go wrong with the information these guys give you.

WA
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Vanuatu?

Thanks Vanuatulocal, I contacted Peter from Nautilus a few months ago and plan on meeting up when I'm in town. Only found out about the drop off/lava tubes of Nguna recently after studying some charts and reading about it, looks like an awesome dive spot. Manuro and Solomon point look inviting as well.

Cheers

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Vanuatu?

Wish I was tweenty years younger (watch those eardrums, blew mine free diving in New Caledonia...well this is what I tell my wife, the excuse has never worked yet).

Sounds awesome, I'm envious!

How deep do you free dive?

WA
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Vanuatu?

I wont be diving that deep on this trip because the camera housing I'm taking only goes to 5mtrs and I will have a 60yr old with me now, so we will take it easy and besides the best colour is found in the shallower water where the sunlight can penetrate. i will return after this venture though and bring all my deep water gear as I plan on producing a series of documentaries on the marine life and other critters found in Vanuatu.

WA
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Vanuatu?

If your interested you can see some of my underwater work on Youtube, just search for 5Fathom5

9. Re: Driving in Vanuatu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila