We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakas Resort ex-Australia. Why so cheap at the moment?

Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Breakas Resort ex-Australia. Why so cheap at the moment?

Hey guys, silly question but I was wondering if anyone had any info for me? My wife and I are off to Breakas in May this year after booking a few months ago. At the time I thought we got a sensational deal, and it is no doubt still quite a bit cheaper than what I'm seeing advertised in Sunday papers, but all of a sudden the papers here in Sydney are advertising the resort at super cheap prices, even by Vanuatu standards.

It is actually cheaper to stay at this boutique resort outside of Port Vila with it's own beach than it is to stay at the usual suspects in the heart of Port Vila. Why is this? Is there any reason why accomodation at this resort seems to be on such big sales at the moment, valid until end of this year too. So it's not just like last minute kind of stuff.

I really cannot wait for the trip, but I'm also very curious.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

Geoff

Melbourne
Level Contributor
564 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Breakas Resort ex-Australia. Why so cheap at the moment?

Potentially resorts could be cheaper given the time you're travelling - i.e. not during school holidays in either Australia or New Zealand.....just a thought, not sure if there are any other factors....what do others think?

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: Breakas Resort ex-Australia. Why so cheap at the moment?

I have seen breakas accom at 50% off the past few days.

When they are having a slack period coming up they push a super special to try to get more people staying there. Even for them to have someone pay half price is better than having an empty room.

Jody

Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Breakas Resort ex-Australia. Why so cheap at the moment?

Yeah, you guys covered my first thoughts; that it was for a quiet season in Vanuatu (though as far as I know mid-year travel, though our winter and outside of Vanuatu's wet season, is quite popular), or as noted, if there was a period ahead where they knew they had little or no bookings.

But the thing that's got me stumped is that most the deals are valid up until the end of this year... not just a couple of months ahead. Oh well, I'm happy enough as long as there's no ugly obvious reason. I'll just bask in the cheap price. :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
1 review
4. Re: Breakas Resort ex-Australia. Why so cheap at the moment?

It could also be that there are renovations taking place, as hotels and resorts will often discount during renovations.

Auckland
Level Contributor
183 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Breakas Resort ex-Australia. Why so cheap at the moment?

I have been searching for a website offering the special rates at Breakas but have been unsucessful. Can anyone suggest a couple of websites?

Thanks in advance.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
6. Re: Breakas Resort ex-Australia. Why so cheap at the moment?

Hi,

If resorts & hotels lived up to their advertising blurbs, they would not be giving 50% off normal prices for a year.

I, for one, would be very suspicious why any business is in fact giving away half its potential income. Is because they are really, really nice people?

Good luck,

Harry.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
48 reviews
7. Re: Breakas Resort ex-Australia. Why so cheap at the moment?

Not totally sure on this, but arent some (or even all) of the cabins at Breakas owned by people in a sort of Timeshare set up???

Maybe they have some obligation to the "owners" to have a certain occupancy??

I also saw the deals this week & was amazed-I've actually managed to convince my husband to stay somewhere without a golf course next trip, so I dont dare push my luck & ask him to go somewhere without a TV !!LOL!

Auckland
Level Contributor
183 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Breakas Resort ex-Australia. Why so cheap at the moment?

ihaveteeth

Can you let me know where you found the specials being offered for Breakas.

Thanks

Port Vila
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Breakas Resort ex-Australia. Why so cheap at the moment?

Geoff

I work in the tourism industry here oparating a Bar cafe and have operated Iririki and other properties.

There has been a very slow start to 2010 arrivals after a record year in 2010. Also the Tourism Office has done little marketing of Vanuatu overseas hence operators are now taking things into their own hands and putting some super deals out in the market place

WE just hope this gets through to our potential visitors and they realise how close we are and how cheap it really is.

We start a series of desination adds on Imparja TV this coming weekend

Cheers

BD

Edited: 15 April 2010, 15:16
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,714 posts
136 reviews
10. Re: Breakas Resort ex-Australia. Why so cheap at the moment?

A friend of mine stayed there over Easter and really loved it - no comment on renovations - would have thought they had finished that up by now or a report about anything else bad except for all the loved up Honeymooners - LOL. I will try and get some more information from them

Regards

Suzi

Get answers to your questions about Port Vila
Recent Conversations