We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child car seats in Vanuatu

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton
1 post
Save Topic
Child car seats in Vanuatu

Hi there

My husband and I are taking our children 3yrs and 6yrs to Vanuatu in early October. We plan on doing a little triping around the coast line in a rental car. Can anyone shed any light on what the rules are about child restraints in a vehicle in Vanuatu?

Thanking you in advance for any help.

Regards

Tony and Tracy Hall

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
680 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child car seats in Vanuatu

Hi Tony and Tracy, I check this query out with my contact at the Vanuatu Tourism Office and they advise that there are no real road rules in Vanuatu regarding restraints, however suggest they take their own car seats if they are hiring a car, taxis no need and local buses also no need. Remember they do drive on the other side of the road. Hope this helps, Joanna

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Child car seats in Vanuatu

Hi NZ family,

Think twice about hiring a car. The roads on Efate (the island where Port Vila is situated) are not so good. It is probably worth waiting until you get there and then decide.

Buses are very cheap and work like taxies, sort of. You hail one and say where you want to go and then they take you there, sometimes via the destination of another traveller or two. They cost very little and you get to meet a few locals on the way. Be friendly and you will be rewarded with an insight into the lifestyle of the lovely local people.

There are no traffic lights. Seatbelts? What are they? Pedestrian crossings...ha! Polite drivers who stop to allow you to cross are a definite possibility.

I don't believe I've ever seen a child restraint there. I'll post an image on the photo page to give you the gist of the traffic eh :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Child car seats in Vanuatu

Yes outside of Vila the roads can be quite terrible but the idea of renting a car is a good one. Go beyond the tourist spots and you will get to see a more authentic Vanuatu.

As for child seats, you will be hard pressed to find anything in Vanuatu. As mentioned they do not require restraints at all and even if you were to take your own car seat you may find they do not have the clips etc that you need to properly secure it. I am sure you could just use the seat belt with the car seat to provide some restraint.

It is also worth noting that you wont be travelling anywhere above 50km/hr so that may affect your decision.

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Child car seats in Vanuatu

I dont remember seeing a traffic incident in vanuatu. No honking of horns or drivers getting irratated on the road. They are so calm

Jody

Brisbane
Level Contributor
101 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Child car seats in Vanuatu

Hi,

The local buses cost about $1.00 each way into and out of town to the resorts they are just like mini vans. The roads around the island are very rough the average speed you will be able to do is 40kph beacuse of the rough surface of the road. The local drivers that do the tour around the island know where every pot hole is because they do it everyday.

6. Re: Child car seats in Vanuatu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila
Recent Conversations