We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iffffff...

queensland
Level Contributor
510 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Iffffff...

Here's a curly one,

IF, for any given reason you could not, were not allowed to, whatever reason, visit and spend your holiday in beautiful Vanuatu.

Where would you go ????

What would be your second (let's make it harder) and third choice???

And why?

I think it would be hard to beat a laid back hol in Vanuatu but let's see the options.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Iffffff...

1st option, without doubt, would be Sri Lanka.

2nd option, Hong Kong.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iffffff...

For me first choice for food, culture and wonderful people (plus it is so cheap) - Cambodia

2nd choice for an island style holiday - Cook Islands

Regards

Suzi

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iffffff...

We have tried the cook is islands and whilst beautiful we were bored after day 2.

Samoa is high on my list and then hawaii but not mainstream hawaii, one of the outer islands

Jody

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iffffff...

Mine has to be Fiji. Very laid back Reboi and different to Vanuatu.

Malolo Laolai island is just beautiful, lots to do and see, and the Yasawa Islands, wonderful Fijian people, and both on my list for this year. ( as well as Santo, but that's Vanuatu)

Second choice Taiwan, I love both Kaoshiung and Taipei the scenery and national parks out of the cities is so wonderful. I can visualise it now, amazing. The smog in the cities not.!

Third choice, uum, the Cook or the Solomon Islands. Blue water white sand and beautiful people

Good post Reboi.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iffffff...

I pretty much agree with SuziiW - first choice would be Cambodia/Vietnam (yes counting them as one coz they are right next door to each other). My daughter spent 4 weeks there last year on a wonderful life-changing journey and I would love to experience it too.

Secondly either Cook or Solomon Islands, because of the beauty and also the people I know in Aus from there are gorgeous.

But for now, I will stick to Vanuatu. We don't usually have the financial capacity to travel overseas, just been better placed than usual this year. So because of that, we are sticking to the best this time. :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iffffff...

Tough one Reboi.....

probably Las Vegas first, we have some family & lots of friends in the U.S. & it'd be quite a party. Lots of fabulous restaurants I'd like to try, and I love the desert heat. (& dont mind a bit of a go on the pokies too)

then Fiji, because I'd need a rest after Vegas....

third would be New York City-I'm a city girl & NYC is truly alive with personality.

So what are your answers to your question???

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iffffff...

Wow I am surprised you were bored Jody. Each to their own - to me a great island holiday is sitting on a beautiful beach, with a great book and the snorkels - I don't need much!

I loved the way I could rent a little rattly convertible and zip around the island to go, see and eat what I wanted - much more freedom then say being on an island in Fiji. I thought the snorkelling close to shore was some of the best I'd seen. Also loved the white sandy beaches of the Titakaveka area which were virtually deserted and fell in love with all the island dogs. Also IMO thought they had the best food in the Pacific - great little deli's, fresh tuna at $15 a kilo, great seafood and wonderful restaurants. Loved their Ika Matu especially – raw tuna marinated in coconut milk. We did spend 10 days on Aitutaki as well – absolutely nothing to do there but chill out!

Regards

Suzi

Edited: 20 February 2011, 20:59
Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
405 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iffffff...

I love Fiji and it's people so that would be my first choice and I don't know what it is but Hawaii has something that I cannot explain but I agree with Jodybelinda that the outer islands are the preferred location.

When looking for a new destination we considered the Cook Islands as well as Vanuatu, Aitutaki in particular but Vanuatu won out!

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iffffff...

Hi Suzii

If all we had to do was sit around a pool and read a book I would go nuts. I could do that for a couple of hours. Thats why we love vanuatu so much, can be busy if you want or chill out.

We also hired one of those ratty soft top cars in the cooks but since the main island is only 35klm round, it dosent take too long.

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iffffff...

Hi Reboi, where you bin hiding lately?

Only choice for me is Samoa, love the place and the people. Would be going back there this time instead of Santo but I find anything more than 3 to 4 hrs in an aluminium tube about my limit these days, the thought of 6hrs with Pacific Blue and a 2 o'clock in the morning arrival just too off putting.

My second fav Island 's are Vanuatu, closely followed by the Cook's.

Tried Tonga three times but was not overly impressed. Hawaii was almost a second home for 30 years so do not have any real desire to return especially with their present border security.

Worked in Fiji for two years and again have no real desire to return. Its a different place when you live and work there to what you see as a tourist,very different !

Edited: 21 February 2011, 10:23