We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the best way to see a Volcano in Vanuatu

longreach
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
what is the best way to see a Volcano in Vanuatu

Hi everyone,

We are off to Port Vila in December for 9 nights, we would love to see a volcano maybe stay overnight and than go back to Port Vila, I have found internet sight Unity Airlines, has any one used them or can anyone help me. We are a family of 2 adults and 3 children ages 12, 8 and 7.

Thanks heaps.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the best way to see a Volcano in Vanuatu

Hi FFH,

My suggestion would be to fly with Air Vanuatu domestic to Tanna and stay at either White Grass (a bit upmarket) or at one of the bungalows (if you like to go with the locals).

Plan at least an overnight stay. This allows you to see the volcano at night. A three night stay would be better to make the extra trip worthwhile.

If you fly to Vanuatu with Air Vanuatu you can get a discount on the domestic leg of your journey.

Oh and of course book your tour to visit Mt Yasur. You can do this via White Grass if you stay there.

Take a torch.

Alternatively you can do one of the day tours as a round trip from Port Vila. This would be your Unity Airlines option.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: what is the best way to see a Volcano in Vanuatu

usually i would agree with Jen about flying air vanuatu domestic but for your family it may be more economical to use unity. however, i'm not sure if their little plane seats 6 (including pilot) and I am pretty sure they just do fly in fly out during the day, and you want to make sure you are there at dusk for an hour or so to get the best effect.

the discount with a/v is 20% which can be quite a bit of money for a family. the other good thing is that you get 20kg baggage allowance as opposed to the 10kg which is standard.

i don't agree with jen that you need to be there for 3 nights (sorry jen). I would book a morning flight from Vila, go to your accomodation and head offf or the volcano around 4pm. sleep over night and maybe fly out the next afternoon which will give you some time to look around lenakel town or other parts of tanna.

white grass and evergreen are really the only 2 "resort" kind of places in tanna, though there are numerous other options available. personally i would suggest staying closer to lenakel as you have more options for transport.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is the best way to see a Volcano in Vanuatu

Hindo - Jen just said an overnight stay - not 3. Also Unity Airlines offer overnight packages

Cheers

Suzi

vanuatu
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what is the best way to see a Volcano in Vanuatu

Hi

Mate, the best way to see a volcano in Vanuatu is to simply stand right at the edge of the opening and look down.

No where else in the world.

I'm not the expert on the dynamics of getting there but it's not to hard as I'm sure someone will put you in the right direction.

Cheers

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what is the best way to see a Volcano in Vanuatu

Agree with Jen,

I'd use Air Vanuatu for the trip and be sure to stay overnight, for an early morning trip (I mean early) to the volcano.

Have a look on the Air Van website

airvanuatu.com/home/accommodation-tanna.aspx

or A$459 overnight via a local agency with Air Vanuatu

http://www.vanuatu-hotels.vu/ (see bottom right hand corner)

have the best holiday!

Edited: 05 November 2010, 20:31
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: what is the best way to see a Volcano in Vanuatu

<Hindo - Jen just said an overnight stay - not 3>

Here is what she said -"Plan at least an overnight stay. This allows you to see the volcano at night. A three night stay would be better to make the extra trip worthwhile."

I don't agree that a 3 night stay "makes the extra trip worthwhile" if all you want to do is see the volcano, that's what I was saying.

longreach
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what is the best way to see a Volcano in Vanuatu

Thankyou everyone for your help, I have already booked our flight with virgin so maybe i made a mistake with that. We are all really excited and hopefullly i will be able to book something in the very near future.

Thanks again

Tanya

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what is the best way to see a Volcano in Vanuatu

That's good news Tanya,

I've flown with Pacific Blue to Vanuatu and to Fiji and both trips have been comfortable.

Have a look at trips when you get to Port Vila, there's a few local tour groups in town who can help with the Tanna trip.

Have the best stay and holiday.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what is the best way to see a Volcano in Vanuatu

And so the question is why might a three night stay be worthwhile?

1. It costs a fair bit to get to Tanna so why not have a look around, meet the people of Tanna and support their local tourism industry.

2. If the weather is dodgy on your first night you will not get to see the volcano at all and your extra money is used for no advantage, whereas if you have a three night stay there is a high probability that you will actually get to see the volcano, seeing as the original question is "what is the best way to see a volcano in Vanuatu"

So now I have explained myself.

Hopefully these various opinions will answer all of the OPs questions.

Therein lies the strength of a forum.

Good for us ;-)

queensland
Level Contributor
510 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what is the best way to see a Volcano in Vanuatu

I like to see volcano's, especially active ones on postcards or tv. Other than that - not real interested but that's purely a personal view.