We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruising the south pacific in December / January

Melbourne Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cruising the south pacific in December / January

Thinking of a New Years Eve cruise this year, leaving end December , returning mid January. Our only concern is that we are in the wet/cyclone season. Any one cruised at this time, could you please advise us of how bad the weather gets. Thanks heaps

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruising the south pacific in December / January

20 odd years ago I did two cruises on the Fairstar in the south pacific. On one of those cruises we got stuck in a cyclone. There was no going outside and ropes were put up in the hallways so you had something to grab onto. You had to hang onto your bed so that you didnt fall out. The tables in the dining room were botled to the floor and obviously the seats werent so you would slide back and forwards. They also closed the port holes (no balconies on cruises back in those days). After the cyclone passed and you were allowed outside, the seas were still rough and I remember the ship going down a huge wave and up another one.

I would like to think that the balaste on ships these days are much better so even if you were in really rough weather that it wouldnt be as bad as it was years ago.

Hope I havent scared you off

Jody

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruising the south pacific in December / January

There is a forum on TA called cruise critic, you may get some good info on that too

boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruising the south pacific in December / January

Hi AggAus,

Although the official "fine" season is around October, the weather remains about the same for most of the year but with hotter temperatures in December/January.

This means that patches of rain are common in any month.

Cyclones don't occur every year and can occur during any month.

You can check the 9 days forecast on this link before you go.

weather-forecast.com/locations/…latest

Otherwise, make sure you have travel insurance that covers you for cancellations due to weather conditions.

Jen

Edited: 04 October 2010, 19:08
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruising the south pacific in December / January

Sorry forget to post the other one.

Just do a search of South Pacific Cruises on here and the forum comes up. Lots of info on that forum.

Melbourne Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruising the south pacific in December / January

Thanks to all for your advice - we love the idea of NYE ot sea

agg Aus

queensland
Level Contributor
510 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruising the south pacific in December / January

We have done the Christmas cruise twice out of Brisbane. Had no issues.

Except the ship ran into an island and we were stuck for 26 hours, had a great time though.

Capitano Stefano Ravera I'll never forget you, even when he caught me mimicking him in the Rainbow bar that night.

The ships are well able to handle rough weather, at most you might feel uncomfortable. No problems until they close the bars. Then there's trouble!

Melbourne Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruising the south pacific in December / January

Thx so much for your advice - feeling a little better about this cruise

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruising the south pacific in December / January

That's what we're here for.

Glad you feel better.

Jen

9. Re: Cruising the south pacific in December / January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2011, 14:21