We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches and Fales

Montreal
Level Contributor
51 posts
79 reviews
Beaches and Fales

Hi,

We've really been struggling trying to decide where to stay. It seems that there's been such a mix of opinions on the internet.

We'll be travelling with a 4 year old and a baby. Safe food is very important... I've read that it can be a problem in Samoa especially at the fales.

We only have 6 nights... the first arriving near bed time. We are mostly into nature: beach, swimming, snorkelling, short hikes.

Would it be a mistake to skip Upolu apart from the first night?

Which beaches are best for small kids and not too crowded?

Some have written that the fales are loud and crowded or the water at Manese is cloudy with strong currents. We are considering Tanu's and Lita Sina but really want to avoid the party scene. Also considering Savaii Lagoon Resort or Le Lagoto. Possibly Vaiala cottages the first night.

We're considering just throwing a dart to decide! Normally we would just show up without reservations... but with 2 kids, that is a recipe for disaster :)

Finally... how on earth are Samoans going to transition to driving on the other side of the road??

Thanks so much!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: Beaches and Fales

Malo lava, and welcome to the Samoa forums :o)

Firstly, safe food. As with anywhere in the tropics, the food is going to be a lot different than what you are used to, and that alone may be enough to cause upset tummies. No matter whether you eat at top end resorts or beach fales, just exercise some caution, and if in doubt, don't eat it. Definitely drink the bottled water.

If you only have six nights then you will maybe want to head straight to Savai'i if that is where you want to go. Le Lagoto is really lovely, but very high end expensive. Savai'i Lagoon get consistently good reviews and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there. If you have no limit on funds, then maybe a night at Le Lagoto as well.

Manase Beach can be cloudy, and the currents can be strong. You have to swim out quite a way to get to the best snorkelling. None of the beaches in Samoa are what I would call 'crowded' but they are all popular with tourists and locals alike, and especially on the weekends you will find many locals from far and wide, enjoying swimming and picnics.

Tanu's at Manase is lovely - very quaint little beach fales, and we often get reports of good food.

Litia Sini is on 'Upolu at Lalomanu Beach. Their enclosed fales are right on the beach. If you want open fales on the beach, Taufua is better, but be warned that it gets very busy there and more of a lively atmosphere. I cannot recommend the food at Litia's. I was last there (at Lalomanu) in January this year and reports from visitors regarding the food and hospitality were not favourable.

Regarding the driving changeover ... let's just say that it definitely be interesting!! LOL!!!

Fa soifua

Tina

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
850 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Beaches and Fales

hi

i agree with tinz re savaii lagoon, i haven;t stayed there , we have stayed at lelagoto, but next time i think would stay at savaii lagooon, they do get great reviews, and with little ones ( we have kids but ours are older, teenagers but have travlled with friends and there baby twice, at 8 mths and 18mths) sometimes a place with walls can be helpful espically with sleeps. and feeling safe re the closeness to the water.

we always stay at litia sina and the food is fine, all buffet style. but my fussy boys love the food here. it has a family feel about it. the fales are lovley, they have little verandahs, which is nice at times to keep out of the sun / or rain!.

the beach at lalomanu is great for kids, and adults! great snorkling the water is so clear and gradual depth, and no waves ,lovley!!!

with food is it hard, most places will cook something for baby, if you ask, and as tina said make sure you only drink bottled water.

hope this helps

sue

3. Re: Beaches and Fales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Samoa