We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around Palau

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
Travelling around Palau

Hello

I am travelling to Palau in December and I was just wondering if anyone knows of a midrange accommodation close to where we can do lots of snorkelling. I’ve bought a couple of books on Palau but I still don’t know how easy it is to travel around. Like are the rock islands easy to get to from Koror? How long would it take to travel there? And are there much accommodation options near the rock islands?

Thank you for your help…..

15 replies to this topic
2 posts
1. Re: Travelling around Palau

Most of the rock islands can be accessed by boats. Some close ones that you can still get a good snorkeling adventure can be reached by kayak which becomes a lot cheaper compared to charters. There are very few accommodation available in regards to what you are asking for. Most accommodation are on the main island which is Koror. Traveling to the rock island depends on the desired location. It can range from 30 minutes to an hour or hour and half.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
2. Re: Travelling around Palau

Hi, I am going as well in December. I have the same questions.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Travelling around Palau

Thank you for your reply this has really helped. :)

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
4. Re: Travelling around Palau

People go to Palau mostly for diving. The dive shops will take you to dive spots where you can snorkel, but many places are pretty deep, so be sure to wear a life vest. Most likely, you will be snorkeling while the group is diving.

December is a good time to go. Most of the storms (aka, typhoons) are "created" near Palau during late summer or fall.

Take a look at the dive shops and ask what their snorkel prices and availability are. Palau Dive Adventures, Fish N Fins, Sam's Tours, Neco Marine -- google "diving in Palau" and you'll see more that what's on TripAdvisor. Not everyone takes snorkelers so check first.

Generally speaking, Palau isn't a snorkeler's destination. There's a house reef at PPR (Palau Pacific Resort) that feeds the fish so they hang around there and consequently make a great "snorkel" spot, but other places have too much boat traffic or no fish, so it's not "amazing."

You should give diving a try! It's a great place to start! You might be hooked!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Travelling around Palau

Thank you for your reply. That's interesting feedback about it not being a destination for snorkelling as my understanding is Palau is one of the most beautiful places for coral. Corals and all the most bra colours are normally closer to the water's service as it needs the sun to thrive. I have done scuba diving before but I don't like all the gear with it and you tend to scare away the sea life with your bubbles. I do hope the dive centres out there will allow us to travel with them. I'm a qualified Freediver which in my opinion is the most wonderful thing to do. Best of both worlds:) thanks again.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
6. Re: Travelling around Palau

Freediving would be great in Palau! (But not that popular or known.) Be sure to stop by German Channel for the (natural) manta feeding station! The Blue Holes are beautiful, too, but you should have scuba gear for that. Palau has a wonderful variety of ocean life, but if you dive, you'll see more!

Yes, the coral is beautiful, but it's deep. Not really snorkeling shallowness.

If you want the best living corals and a perfect beach snorkeling spot, check out the Meso-American Reef in Roatan, off the coast of Honduras. It's THE largest LIVING barrier reef -- with people who are working hard to preserve it! BUT it's soooooo far from Asia! LOL (It's closer from Europe!) There's a Freediving Competition there every year. You might want to check it out!

http://roatanfreediving.com

Happy Diving!

Edited: 08 September 2016, 21:53
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
7. Re: Travelling around Palau

In my DIY Destinations - Palau (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5aJOUVupk4), there is no inland public transportation. The best option is rent a car, but keep in mind the gas insanely expensive as everything on the island nation is imported. You are not allowed to stay on the Rock Islands, and please keep in mind there is $100 USD Visitors Fees that is not included in most tourist packages for Rock Islands and Jellyfish Lake.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Travelling around Palau

Thank you I will take some time this evening to have a look at your video. Omg you have to pay $100 to visit jellyfish lake!? Wow that's a lot of money. Thank you for your info.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
9. Re: Travelling around Palau

Natalie, did you plan everything?

Edited: 26 September 2016, 08:28
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: Travelling around Palau

I have booked accomadation at 3 destinations. But the rest of the trips will be arranged once we're there. How about you?

Reply to: Travelling around Palau
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Koror
Recent Conversations