We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you recommend renting a car?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Would you recommend renting a car?

Greetings Fellow Travelers!

My husband and I will be traveling to Palau in Feb. 2015 and we will be there for 2 weeks. We are thinking of renting a car for the entire time that we are there. Is traffic (outside of "rush hour") or parking an issue? Any relative information that you can provide as far as renting a car pros and cons would be really appreciated.

Thank You!!

-Maria

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you recommend renting a car?

Since nobody else has offered an opinion I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Why are you going to Palau? Dive ops will typically pick you up, so you probably don't need a car to get to them. There are some options that are briefer, but anything that involves a boat ride out to the Rock Islands will be a fairly full day. Based on that, I see little reason to have a car on days that you dive, take a snorkel or kayak tour, etc.

For general sightseeing, you can probably cover everything south of Babeldaob in a day. Depending on what interests you and how ambitious you are you might be able to spend the entire two weeks exploring Babeldaob. Those would be easier with a car.

A while back I read a fairly long post about exploring Babeldaob. It may have been here, but might have been something I stumbled across elsewhere. Try browsing through several pages of posts and see what you find. Since this forum isn't very busy and most people who go are there for the diving, spending some time with Google is probably your best bet for finding info about non-diving stuff.

Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you recommend renting a car?

We traveled there last Feb. and we rented a car for the day. Most of what we did was water/diving related so there was no need to have a car sit in the lot. You can figure this out when you get there. Don't worry to much ahead of time. I don't know what your activity plans are but you can tell the hotel you want a car and they will arrange to have one there for you. Save travels. Palau is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you recommend renting a car?

Just landed here a few hours ago. I was the pilot. I come here about twice a year and have a 3 or 4 day layover each time. I just asked about a rental car at the airport with budget, $52 a day. I've rented cars at the airport before but some times by the time we get here, 1-2 am, they are all closed? We stay at PPR, the front desk will set you up with a car for $45 a day cash and you need to return it with the gas you used. The waterfall is about 30 miles away from town. Absolutely no traffic on the road. We did the full circle and saw 3 cars. In town there is constant traffic, I think the islanders just hop in their car to cool off because there is nowhere to really be going. It's nice to have the convenience of a car, and you will save some dollars in the process not being forced to eat at the resort. Also, you can hit the grocery stores and stock up on supplies. Parking is not an issue, hotels don't charge and there is plenty of parking in town. You could always rent a car for a few days and decide, I don't think the price changes, although everything is negotiable!!! Good luck and have a fun trip.

Raipur, India
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you recommend renting a car?

Please take to help from free rental classified website. It is available for you. You can find wide variety of car on rent whatever your location within your budget.

Edited: 09 March 2016, 18:29
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
428 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you recommend renting a car?

I rented from IA Rent a Car in town, $28 a day including tax. We only got it for one day, the day we arrived and didn't have any snorkelling tours booked. We planned to go see some waterfalls but we ended up getting a little lost and just gave up and drove around on some small roads. We also used it to go to Katie's Vegetarian Restaurant in Topside that night. But for our other two days in Palau, our tour company picked us up and we ate dinner in downtown Koror (where everything is walking distance).

6. Re: Would you recommend renting a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2017, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Koror
Recent Conversations