We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16-hour stopover in Bogota

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
16-hour stopover in Bogota

I have a 16-hour stopover in Bogota in March and I'm planning to visit the city.

Is it safe enough for a single female carrying an SLR camera. I'm a keen photographer so would love to take the camera and lenses with me.

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16-hour stopover in Bogota

In the main tourist areas, maintain your vigilance and be sensible and you should be OK. Candalaria is a little more dodgy, however not too bad in the main areas, use common sense and do not leave it unattended and take it out just when you want to take a photo. Lots of people use them so you will not be the only one. Up monserrate, they are everywhere, and it is quite safe. Around Zona Rosa / Par 93 / Usaquen it is generally fine.

Put it this way - for my Mum who has very few street smarts I would be worried about her being alone with a nice camera; for my sister who has travelled a lot, no issue.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16-hour stopover in Bogota

Thanks a lot for your advise, it's very helpful. I'm a seasoned traveller so more like your sister :)

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,805 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 16-hour stopover in Bogota

Where I live, I can't get camera insurance, but you should check, Maria, as I have friends from the UK who have no issue in purchasing camera insurance that also covers all their lenses.

Also, if you don't have one, try getting a good camera strap too, like a Black Rapid.

Silvia

Edited: 11 January 2016, 03:02
4. Re: 16-hour stopover in Bogota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2017, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Bogota