We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a new cell phone in Bogota.

Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a new cell phone in Bogota.

I would like to buy a good new cell phone for a Colombian family i know here. I am wondering if some stores have better prices for the same phone and what smart phone might be the best to use here.

Thanks

Roger

4 replies to this topic
Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
588 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a new cell phone in Bogota.

We buy unbranded and unlocked cell phones with manufacturers warranties from Alkosto in Cali. I believe their other store name is Ktronix. This is their web site. They have physical stores and they also sell from their web site. We have purchased a number of phones in the Alkosto store in Cali in the past several years. Motorolas and Lenovo phones provide a lot of "bang for the buck". The phones we have purchased have had a one year manufacturers warranty here in Colombia. You will find Alkosto and/or Ktronix in Bogota.

http://www.alkosto.com/

ETA: We purchased SIM cards for Virgin Mobile Colombia when we purchased the first Motorola phone there and we have been on Virgin Mobile Colombia (a virtual operator and the 4th largest operator in Colombia, they run on the Movistar network) for more than 2 years now.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 00:13
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a new cell phone in Bogota.

Lanny provided good advices.

For your comfort and peace of mind, I would advise to buy it in a renown outlet.

* Can be in a mobile phone provider store (Claro, Movistar, Tigo/Une, Avantel, VirginMobile…)

* Also in a specialized store (KTronix, Panamericana…)

* In a supermarket (Alkosto, Exito, Jumbo…)

* Or online (Linio, maybe mercadolibre but with some precautions), only if you have a local credit card.

I would check the websites of these different stores, check the models they are selling, and once you have narrowed down to 2 or 3 models, hunt for flash sales, special discounts…

You can sometimes find good deals in smaller stores in popular neighborhoods, but there is a risk that they are not genuine, stolen, not officially imported… all kind of situations that will eventually lead to have a unusable phone.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a new cell phone in Bogota.

AS for the brands, I would check Lenovo, Huawei, LG, some mid range Samsungs (like the J7 for instance) also have a reasonable performance/price ratio. High range Samsungs (s9...) are more expensive than in the US, same with iPhones.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a new cell phone in Bogota.

Falabella is having a black Friday sale this week - you might pick up a good deal. Exito had some sales last week, as did Ktronic - maybe they are still open.

Reply to: Buying a new cell phone in Bogota.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bogota