We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth spending a (holi)day?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Worth spending a (holi)day?

I'm going down to Cartagena for work in June, stopping in Bogota for a meeting beforehand. I had planned on flying in a day or so early to check out the city, but found out that the one day I'd have free is a holiday (June 11). Should I bother, or will everything be closed? I'd love to see Bigots, but will be alone and if there's nothing to do I'm not sure there's a point.

If it is worthwhile, any ideas on what will be open?

6 replies to this topic
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: Worth spending a (holi)day?

I presume you want to see Bogota and not "Bigots." You don't have to travel if it is the latter. (I hate the tyranny of auto-correct.)

I don't think everything will be closed. The Museo de Oro -- which should be an absolute top priority in visiting Bogota -- is open, for example.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2. Re: Worth spending a (holi)day?

Absolutely don't want to see "Bigots"! Autocorrect is awful. I thought the Museo del Oro is closed on Mondays, is that incorrect? I was disappointed to miss it

Level Contributor
1,028 posts
3. Re: Worth spending a (holi)day?

One of the great things about holidays is the Ciclovia. Over 120km of roads are closed off to bikes & pedestrians so you can download the Muvo app, hire a bike and cycle around the city Depending on how much you want to do you can cycle along 'La Septima' ('seventh avenue') all the way from Candelaria up to Usaquen, a small colonial village engulfed by Bogota as it grew northwards.

Ok so Bogota does lose a lot of its bustling hip vibe during holiday with the mass exodus from the city. The Candelaria is deserted for example no students anywhere which detract from its usually artsy feel BUT on the other hand you get the idylic feel of how Transmilenio (Bogota's public bus system) should be like and a lot of the great restaurants in La Macarena, Zona G, Chapinero Alto, Zona Rosa, Usaquen, etc. will mostly be open. If you're an early riser you can also do La Quebrada la Vieja hike straight from the Zona G 085iylq6GoE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=085iylq6GoE It's only about an hour hike up the mountain.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 15:11
Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
654 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Worth spending a (holi)day?

I believe the Gold Museum is always closed on Mondays. Most holidays in Colombia are on Mondays. There are SO many things to do and see in/near Bogota. You cannot possibly see all or most of them in one day. We went to the Gold Museum last week when we were in Bogota. I'd read that one should plan on 2 or 3 hours. I think we wee there about 2 1/2 hours. My wife thinks it would e better (if possible) to go there one day for 2 hours and return (if possible) another day for another 2 hours. It was rated one of the 25 best museums in the world, several years ago.

The one thing I really enjoyed (and would like to repeat) is the Cathedral in the Salt Mine near Zipa. We went there a few years ago. Really the only place we have been to that I wish we could have spent more time in and then also I wish that we could have explored the nearby town ("Zipa") which seemed to be an attractive place. The day we were there, we rushed back to Bogota, hoping to also tour the Science Museum. Both require more hours than we had available that particular day.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 01:45
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
112 reviews
5. Re: Worth spending a (holi)day?

At least you got an auto-correct that is funny and not embarrassing.

I stand corrected (and not auto-corrected) on the Museo de Oro. Yes it is closed on Monday. I did not realize the holiday fell on a Monday. I just know that the day was not listed as the one of the holidays for which it is closed. The Botero Museum is closed on Tuesdays, not Mondays, but I'm not sure about that particular day.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6. Re: Worth spending a (holi)day?

Thank you, all! Appreciate all the tips/feedback

Reply to: Worth spending a (holi)day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted