We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prohibited substances

Which Abu Dhabi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wakefield, England
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Prohibited substances

I know the UAE have strong regulations regarding prohibited substances. I'm travelling to Australia from the UK via Abu Dhabi (not stopping on way out). Do these same restrictions apply?

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prohibited substances

In short, yes.

But so long as these are prescription medications, bring a copy of the prescription (or a doctor's letter) and put them in your hand baggage. ILME

Edited: 09 October 2011, 02:15
Wakefield, England
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prohibited substances

But... and I say this cautiously... if whatever is in the suitcases and they are in transit between one Etihad plane and another... how are they to know? I am talking about medication as opposed to "recreational" drugs.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prohibited substances

If you are taking prescribed medication then it makes sense to take a copy of your prescription. If it's medication I absolutely need to have then I always carry it in my hand baggage just in case my checked luggage goes astray. If it's something you can easily replace at your destination then pack it in your suitcase and it's less to carry.

As to how would they know if your luggage is in transit, they probably wouldn't. But you could be stopped for a random search on entering Australia so may need a copy of your prescription then.

Wakefield, England
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prohibited substances

Fair points, thank you both.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prohibited substances

As has been pointed out on many occasions, these rules apply wherever you travel to, not just the UAE. If your medication is essential, you should be doing that anyway, just in case....

6. Re: Prohibited substances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 08:17