We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai holiday with 3 kids

Auckland Central...
5 posts
Save Topic
Dubai holiday with 3 kids

Hi everyone,

So we're a family of 5 including me, my husband and 3 kids all under 5 years of age and we're planing to visit Dubai, from Auckland, NZ for 4 days during the end of July.

My questions are:

1. How hot exactly does it get?

2. What is the cost of transportation there to get around to major tourist spots such as The Gold Souk, Dubai Mall etc?

3. Where is the best location to stay at?

4.Is there anything we need to be extra aware of (including snakes)?

5. What exactly is the current exchange rate from NZD to Dirham's in Dubai.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks in advance ☺

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Gold Souk
Gold Souk
2,640 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai holiday with 3 kids

My questions are:

1. How hot exactly does it get?

40 to 45 C

2. What is the cost of transportation there to get around to major tourist spots such as The Gold Souk, Dubai Mall etc?

Depends on where you are staying in Dubai. Taxis and metro is easily available. Taxis are metered and cheap.

3. Where is the best location to stay at?

Depends on your budget, i will recommend JBR, Marina area.

4.Is there anything we need to be extra aware of (including snakes)?

No snakes in city. Maybe in desert but not sure. Always keep water with you.

5. What exactly is the current exchange rate from NZD to Dirham's in Dubai.

1 NZD = 2.55 AED (source Oanda.com)

Mentioned in this post
Gold Souk
Gold Souk
2,640 Reviews
Dubai
Dubai
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai holiday with 3 kids

Just to add, Dubai almost always involves some tax/public transport time for tourists. It's a linear city, roughly an hour from airport down to Southern extents.

RTA is the best source of information for taxis, fare calculators etc. Careem and Uber are also decent options.

My advice is consider location based on your itinerary, as it often catches people out. For example, if your itinerary is balanced towards Downtown and Old Dubai, but you're staying at Jebel Ali Beach resort, you'll be losing 45 mins each way.

Dubai Marina and JBR are the most popular spots for Western tourists, balancing beach side with a high developed area to walk around and an abundance of leisure venues (bars, cafes, shops, restaurants etc.)

Al Barsha is a popular area as it's relatively equidistant from the places most tourists travel to, is more midscale and underdeveloped so accommodation is cheaper. Hotel apartments are more abundant here than most places in Dubai other than JBR.

Palm Jumeirah tends to have higher class hotels although they're more like resorts, and aimed at trying to keep you on property rather than roam around outside.

Jumeirah Beach - namely JB Hotel or Madinat Jumeirah features several high end Jumeirah (the chain) hotels, beach access and some lovely leisure facilities, but you'd still need a taxi to visit Downtown and around.

Old Dubai (creek, Deira etc.) is older and more hectic/populated and has cheaper hotels, although very little in the way of 'proper' beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Jebel Ali
Jebel Ali
Al Barsha Hotel Apartments by Mondo
Al Barsha Hotel...
463 Reviews
Palm Jumeirah
Palm Jumeirah
1,338 Reviews
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
5,845 Reviews
Dubai Creek
Dubai Creek
8,658 Reviews
Auckland Central...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai holiday with 3 kids

Thank you so much for that. Any idea where is the best place to exchange money at in Dubai?

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai holiday with 3 kids

Hi the Dubai Forum - rather than the UAE - has lots of threads about money exchange and suggestions.

Personally, convenience is key to me so I usually just use the nearest branch of Al Ansari - they're in most malls and around neighbourhoods.

There's anecdotal evidence there are better rates to find shopping around in places like Deira, but I feel it's often false economy to spend time and money shuttling about to supposedly save.

As for the best exchange rate, again it's down to research but I generally use the domestic online money ordering services to have some 'walking around' money in my hand when I travel anywhere. Saves using ATMs or counters at the airport to have cash for a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Reply to: Dubai holiday with 3 kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted