We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber from the Airport?

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Uber from the Airport?

I'm just wondering if anyone has used Uber from the airport into the city. I'm visiting later this week and would like to use them, but I know it can be difficult to get a driver to the airport sometimes in various cities.

Thanks for your help!

Andrea

14 replies to this topic
Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
491 posts
231 reviews
1. Re: Uber from the Airport?

I've used it a few months ago and it was after midnight, no fuss no hassle. If you don't have a sim, order it when you're still within the free-wifi zone.

Edmonton, Canada
4 posts
1 review
2. Re: Uber from the Airport?

Do NOT use Uber for any reason. I realize yours is an old post but for future readers this is important. Aside from all the negative news on Uber in the world news including a backlog of sexual harassment cases by drivers, death threats toward journalists reporting about them, scummy underhanded tricks against their rivals and mistreatment of employees - their drivers are not insured for commercial passenger transportation. They are supposed to carry elevated personal insurance also but that is not guaranteed. Anyone...anyone can be an Uber driver. A little research would have given you the information you needed, which is that airport taxis are always waiting at the Bahrain airport in Muharraq. The drivers are courteous and friendly, they have proper insurance and registrations (with Uber, the car doesn't even have to be registered to the driver), and they are vetted through the Public Transport Drivers Society (PTDS). In Bahrain cab drivers shell out BD 20,000 to enter the public transportation sector. They are committed to their jobs. Uber drivers click a button on a website and register. Some of the Uber taxi drivers are not licensed to transport people or to even stay in the country. Most of all keep in mind that the latest stats on accidents in Bahrain are quite high, and you will see that there is a lot of aggressive driving around you, but you might want to know that every 4 days there is a traffic accident that involves multiple fatalities. Do you want an experienced driver with proper vetting and coverage and support under a gov't administration to be taking you through that aggressive traffic....or do you want to take your chances with someone who is with Uber to make a few bucks part-time and who doesn't qualify to be a cab driver. As a female in an Arab country, despite it's openness to foreigners, you might want to rethink who is taking you to your destination. And how do I know? I've lived in Bahrain for half a year very recently and had ample time to find all of this out.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Uber from the Airport?

While you make some very valid points, I would say most taxi drivers in Bahrain are not well trained in driving skills and tend to speed, weave in and out of lanes and not observe proper etiquette. To add to this ... taxi rates are high. I think this is why people tend towards Uber which is cheaper and more available.

However your points about safety and lone female are note worthy.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Uber from the Airport?

I had done my research, and had read that the taxi drivers in Bahrain were quite pushy and overcharged their riders, which is why I was going to use Uber. However, for some reason when I arrived my app didn't end up working, so I downloaded and used the Bahrain Taxi app, which worked out quite well.

Edmonton, Canada
4 posts
1 review
5. Re: Uber from the Airport?

Glad it worked out for you and hope you enjoy Bahrain. Bahrain Taxi, which are also the airport taxis, cannot "overcharge" as they have meters running which make them consistent. I've used them 25+ times in a short period of time and they've always been consistent with charges. However yes, they can cost more than Uber, which is not overcharging by Bahrain standards (it's not exactly the cheapest place to live I've noticed). Always make sure they turn on their meter at start of trip. If they don't, you are not required by law to pay them at the end of the trip. I haven't experienced any pushiness or overcharging myself and my family members tell me they haven't so I'm not sure what exactly people have experienced as pushy. I found the drivers very talkative and enjoyable. I just considered the quality of Uber drivers and that company as a whole and what the worst thing is that can happen if we were in an accident and decided that I'd rather pay a bit more to use Bahrain Taxi because I know they have stricter policies on what is required of each driver to register. Speedy Motors also is good, but even more expensive than Bahrain Taxi. Always ask for a receipt. They are required to give you one. Just for your records. And if you find a driver you really like then get his number and you can always use the same one.

3 posts
6. Re: Uber from the Airport?

Again, I am very disappointed with the Bahrain airport taxis. I took a taxi from the airport to The Regency (Inter Continental) in Manama this morning. The meter clearly indicated BD4.70. He told me it was BD10. I asked why it was so expensive. He flicked the meter to reflect BD7.50. Took my BD10 and gave me BD3 change. And said "it's week end".

I didn't argue as I'm sick of this every time I come to Bahrain.

I regretted not asking for a receipt.

So be warned!

Edited: 06 May 2017, 03:23
3 posts
7. Re: Uber from the Airport?

Indeed. I got overcharged every single time i come here....

3 posts
8. Re: Uber from the Airport?

Indeed. I got overcharged every single time i come here....

6 posts
1 review
9. Re: Uber from the Airport?

i think the airport has its own taxi or airlane company that you fly with.

I fleew once with gulf air and got the taxi from airport and had some promo or something.

Look at their site www.gulf-air.net i hope it will answer your question =)

Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Uber from the Airport?

Why didnt u report it the consumer protection authority ? These things are not tolerated here..

Reply to: Uber from the Airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manama