We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of living in Manama, Bahrain

2 posts
Save Topic
Cost of living in Manama, Bahrain

I got a job offer for a teaching position in Manama.The 2 year contract pays 225 bhd/month,25 bhd/month allowance, hard furnished accomodation, return airfare.

How much will be spent on food/groceries and utilities- electicity, water, gas, internet.

Do you think this is a better deal?? Plz let me know.

Thankyou

Mentioned in this post
Manama
Manama
Bahrain
Bahrain
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of living in Manama, Bahrain

For that salary your accommodation should be fully paid, including all local taxes, furnishings, electricity and water utilities. You should also get transport to/from your accommodation and place of work. If not, I wouldn't take the job here. Bahrain is very expensive.

Internet will cost you BHD 10 per month.

Drinking water (You can't drink the water supplied by the utilities here) will cost you BHD .800 per 20 litre bottle.

Groceries are a hard one; Bahrain can be shockingly expensive or cheap. You can live here on BD 2 per day; at least I've heard that some nationalities can and do. But most people I know spend a small fortune on groceries here each month. Does your employer not provide at least one meal per day as part of your package (lunch at the school)?

Mentioned in this post
Bahrain
Bahrain
Middle East
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of living in Manama, Bahrain

Utilities are not included in the package.I have to pay for them plus transportation. So this is not worth it i guess.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of living in Manama, Bahrain

You may end up with almost no savings.

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
459 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of living in Manama, Bahrain

You can easily survive on that salary, others will find it hard to last one week on it.

It all depend on what are your expectations. In certain areas, that won't be enough to rent a studio...so you have to decide what's your lifestyle.

Nonthaburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of living in Manama, Bahrain

For cost of living and for comparing same between two countries, check the numbeo.com website. It has figures on nearly everything that are sent in by actual residents.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of living in Manama, Bahrain

@camelbacker thanks that's a good website for comparing cost of living

I notice Thailand is so reasonable.

7. Re: Cost of living in Manama, Bahrain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2018, 14:16